Glofish Keep Dying New Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
+1 that's the first thing I thought as I read this thread. You should see some nitrates if you've cycled , especially without live plants.
Not sure why ammonia and nitrates don't show up?

Yeah, it's obvious the tank isn't cycled. Something's going on though to be killing the fish so quickly.

Agreed that is also why I'm curious about no ammonia or nitrites showing up.

Could you take a picture of the surface of the water from maybe a 30° angle? I'm curious about those bubbles on the water line.
Also curious about this, good catch, with my poor eyesight didn't see this until after you mentioned and I zoomed in.

Agreed that is also why I'm curious about no ammonia or nitrites showing up.

I don't think they've had a sufficient ammonia source. Apparently the fish are dying too quickly to produce enough ammonia, and it would take a while for one fish to produce enough ammonia in a 10 gallon to show up on a test. It can't be the water source because they have another tank that's fine. I'd personally get those sea shells out, then as mentioned, find out where the bubbles on the surface are coming from. I think I see an airstone in there.

Okay good. You need as much of the filter floss as she can give you. What type of filter is on your mom's tank?

I'm pretty sure hers is the same type as mine. Could we switch filters and her tank still have enough bacteria to support the fish?

Depends on how stocked her tank is. You could swap filter cartridges and she should be fine. If her tank has been established for a while the the nitrifying bacteria is in her substrate and all over the tank.

I don't think they've had a sufficient ammonia source. Apparently the fish are dying too quickly to produce enough ammonia, and it would take a while for one fish to produce enough ammonia in a 10 gallon to show up on a test. It can't be the water source because they have another tank that's fine. I'd personally get those sea shells out, then as mentioned, find out where the bubbles on the surface are coming from. I think I see an airstone in there.

Yes, we have an air stone. Can you explain the significance of the bubbles on the surface? I will remove the sea shells.

Depends on how stocked her tank is. You could swap filter cartridges and she should be fine. If her tank has been established for a while the the nitrifying bacteria is in her substrate and all over the tank.

Her tank has been running for about 9 months. It's a 10-gallon tank with 4 Glofish. She said her cartridge was just changed about a week ago. Would that make a difference?

For future reference it's never a good idea to completely change a cartridge. Instead rinse it out in tank water in a bucket when you do your water changes.
You could put some of her substrate in a clean nylon stocking and place that in your tank in addition to switching filters. Put the rocks in the foot of the stocking and tie it off, then toss it in.
The charcoal in the filter cartridge could help out if you have something funky going on.

We set up the tank with the water conditioner for several weeks before putting in the fish. I now realize we didn't build up bacteria. We added SafeStart plus with the second batch of fish (and all subsequent additions just to be safe).
Reading fast through this whole thread I come to realize and no one asked what did you use for a ammonia source during your cycle .

using bacteria in a bottle is nothing more than pouring toilet water in the tank as you have no idea how long it's been sitting on the shelf , not even including how long it sat in the warehouse ,

you need a true ammonia source to properly cycle a tank short cuts get you no were fast as your finding out , you can add a ammonia source by using pure ammonia no scent , or a chunk of shrimp ,

using your test kit you can follow your cycle step by step

this is one of the better guides to walk you through the entire start up of your tank.

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

there are others but not in such detail ,

glo fish are very temperamental and fragile to sudden change so it's best to float 15 min than drip acclimate with tank water this will reduce the risk of shocking the fish as they are not the hardiest of fish to begin with

Last edited:
The op mentioned that they used SafeStart, but then after a few weeks realized they never added an ammonia source. They can't use ammonia to cycle at this point because there is still a fish in there. If the fish doesn't make it we were headed in that direction. As for now, I'm trying to get some nitrifying bacteria in there and get a cycle started. That single fish isn't going to be a sufficient source of ammonia so I was going to suggest a couple more fish, careful acclimation, close monitoring/testing, and water changes. I'm still skeptical though because of the surface foaming as mentioned. I still wonder what killed their fish so quickly.

I agree, that link is an excellent source.

The op mentioned that they used SafeStart, but then after a few weeks realized they never added an ammonia source. They can't use ammonia to cycle at this point because there is still a fish in there. If the fish doesn't make it we were headed in that direction. As for now, I'm trying to get some nitrifying bacteria in there and get a cycle started. That single fish isn't going to be a sufficient source of ammonia so I was going to suggest a couple more fish, careful acclimation, close monitoring/testing, and water changes. I'm still skeptical though because of the surface foaming as mentioned. I still wonder what killed their fish so quickly.

I agree, that link is an excellent source.

The first four fish died, I admit, at least in part to poor acclimation (and no bacteria). We floated the bag on top of the aquarium for an hour, then dumped the contents into the tank. I now know you shouldn't do this. I listened to a family member that had larger tanks for many years. I now know to just research myself. Pet store employees are just as clueless.

The pet store recommended the SafeStart with two new fish. We acclimated these fish better: floated the bag for about an hour, then put a cup of Aquarium water into the bag every 20 min. Scooped out the fish and placed them into the tank once the bag was mostly our tank water. One of the two fish was dead in about 8 hours.

I tested the water myself and had it tested at the pet store. PH was around 7.6, ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites were 0.

I added one more fish (2 total in tank at this point), and I used the same acclimation process. The two fish seemed to do great. I checked the water and got the same results as above.

We added two more fish yesterday using the same acclimation process. I also added more SafeStart. In less than 8 hours both new fish and my "oldest" fish were dead. My second oldest remains, yet he's only been here 3 days.

You may never have a concrete answer. But I believe its more than likely osmotic shock.

10g not big enough for glofish. You need at least 6. Just too much for a 20in tank.

It stinks you lost the fish but not the end of the world. Cycle the tank properly then stock it properly. Youll enjoy it alot more.

10g not big enough for glofish. You need at least 6. Just too much for a 20in tank.

It stinks you lost the fish but not the end of the world. Cycle the tank properly then stock it properly. Youll enjoy it alot more.

So, is my lone Glofish going to die from loneliness?

Back
Top Bottom