Glofish Keep Dying New Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hold off getting fish. We need to make sure things are stable. You should dose to 3ppm a few more times just to be safe. Then you can fully stock your tank.
Keep posting results. You don't have much longer.

You are cycled when you get 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and anything over 0 nitrAte.

Fish will be fine in up to 20 nitrAte, then you do your water change (or a minimum of once a week, depending on which comes first).

So, yes your tank appears to be cycled, and you can safely add fish according to those readings.

The advice above is excellent though. Give it a few more days. Keep dosing and testing, make sure it wasn't just a one-off and you are for sure cycled.

So close now... :)

Alrighty, after checking all parameters, I decided to put in 3 Glofish (my 3-year-old loves them). They were buy 3 get 1 free, so we came home with 4. All have survived a little over 24 hours. They seem to be doing well! I took at as a good sign when they all scrambled to eat this morning.

Thank you to everyone who helped me get my tank up and running! The advice has been invaluable! I hope I'm in the clear now, but I'm glad to know where to turn if I need help! [emoji3][emoji226][emoji225]

Keep an eye on those parameters! Fluctuations are common on a new cycle. I wish you all the best! Happy fish keeping [emoji4]

I do have a question about fish behavior. My Glofish seem to chase each other a lot. I wouldn't necessarily call it bullying. They speed up, get right on another fish and bump it then back off. Is this normal behavior?

I want to get another fish because I know they are schooling fish. I hope to transfer them to a larger aquarium since I now know they do better in a larger one.

That's a big part of it for sure, they need a larger group. Plus, they are tetras, which tend to be little bossy by nature. You'd really enjoy a larger tank btw [emoji16]

That's a big part of it for sure, they need a larger group. Plus, they are tetras, which tend to be little bossy by nature. You'd really enjoy a larger tank btw [emoji16]

Yes, I believe I would enjoy a larger tank! Whoever marketed the Glofish aquarium kits 10 gallons and smaller should be scolded! I had no idea they would need more room than 10 gallons! They're packed in the tank at petsmart. I realize those are larger than 10, but they clearly don't follow the rule of thumb for how many fish should be in a tank. The girl that got me the fish yesterday said not many people buy them because they are on the pricier side. I found it odd that they keep so many together.

I have a friend of a friend that has offered to sell me a larger tank on the cheap... !

Score!
Petsmart's tanks are all connected to a huge filter system, so technically it's like one huge tank with separate compartments.

Pet store tanks typically suck, and they get away with tiny space/tonnes of fish because it's "temporary".

Most if not all tetras when put into a new situation will spend a little time establishing a pecking order. They'll settle down.

People who allow those "glo tanks" (or "betta tanks" of like 1g) should be made to live in a bathroom for six months. See how they like it.

Hi all! My tank is still running smoothly and all fish seem happy!

I bought a 65 gallon tank today (Petsmart was running 25% off sale prices for 8 hours today online). I need a filter and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Also, I want will be relocating my 6 Glofish Tetras to their new home (once cycled), and I need some colorful, compatible fish. Would tiger barbs be too aggressive? I would obviously have at least 6 of them. Any other suggestions for colorful fish?

Oh boy, now we're talking!! You have so many options!! And...so many decisions. You'll need to look into canister vs hang on back filters and decide which on would suit you best. You should get lots of feedback here on both types.
As far as fish, I'm not a fan of tiger barbs, but with a large enough school I think they would be an option. A large cardinal tetra school looks awesome. Check out member tanks and fish on here to help you decide what you want. You've got lots of planning to do! Happy for ya! [emoji16]

Oh boy, now we're talking!! You have so many options!! And...so many decisions. You'll need to look into canister vs hang on back filters and decide which on would suit you best. You should get lots of feedback here on both types.
As far as fish, I'm not a fan of tiger barbs, but with a large enough school I think they would be an option. A large cardinal tetra school looks awesome. Check out member tanks and fish on here to help you decide what you want. You've got lots of planning to do! Happy for ya! [emoji16]

I know nothing about canister filters! I love my AC 30. I'm thinking of getting a larger AC. Would 70 be sufficient, or should I get the larger one?

I know nothing about canister filters! I love my AC 30. I'm thinking of getting a larger AC. Would 70 be sufficient, or should I get the larger one?

This may be a dumb question, but could I buy a 70 and also use the 30 on the same tank?

I'm also going to need some guidance on what (and how much) I should take from my current 10 gallon tank to get the new tank cycled. I obviously don't want my 10 gallon to crash with my fish in it while I get the new tank set up! Thanks in advance!!

Chiming in, what decor are you using ? Did you ditch any seashells ?

That tentacle looking ornament has a bad reputation for becoming sticky and either poisoning or polluting tanks. I'd remove it if you still have it ASAP.
Many Betta keepers on FB have accounts of that ornament being an issue.

Once your 65 is cycled I would add to your Glo Tetra group. Skirt Tetras are a little nippy, not as bad as Tiger Barbs, but can be bratty. So a large group will keep more fins intact.

I like Harlequin Rasboras or Cherry Barbs. Mine have been very hardy.

Cories are a favorite if you use a soft sand substrate.

IMG_2005.JPG

Back
Top Bottom