Glofish Keep Dying New Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bekershpd

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I'm new to aquariums, and I would appreciate any help.

We have a 10-gallon tank, and we let it cycle without fish for several weeks. We added 4 Glofish at once and they all died almost immediately. The pet store checked the water, and everything was perfect. They suggested we didn't have sufficient bacteria, so we got SafeStart Plus and added 2 Glofish. One died overnight, and one has lived three days. We added one Glofish yesterday, and everything seemed fine, so we added two more today. I read they are schooling fish, so we wanted to have 4. We have 3 snails that have lived since the beginning, and they are thriving. Each time we add new fish, we add SafeStart. I have checked the water with the API Master Kit each day, and the water is in normal parameters for each test.

Any ideas? My three-year-old loves the Glofish, but should we think about trying a different type of fish? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Forgot to mention that one of the fish we added today died after about 8 hours. The fish we have had for three days does not look well. So frustrating!

What are the water parameters?

How did you acclimate these fish to your tank?

Also, these fish should be in groups of 6+, not 4.

I just tested this morning, and the pH is high (purple when using the high pH test). It was 7.4 previously. Ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite are 0. Only one fish remains. :-(

I need to do a partial water change. I've never done one before. What is the best way to get the new water to the appropriate temperature?

I need to do a partial water change. I've never done one before. What is the best way to get the new water to the appropriate temperature?

I use an instant read digital meat thermometer to get a reading from the tank then I hold the same thermometer under the running water at the sink and adjust until it's the same temp then fill the bucket.

Great idea! I just use these cheap floating thermometers from my lfs.
I just float them in my bucket than add heated tap water to get correct temp.

I use an instant read digital meat thermometer to get a reading from the tank then I hold the same thermometer under the running water at the sink and adjust until it's the same temp then fill the bucket.

Thank you! I just tried this method, and my one remaining fish seems to be doing fine. I know they are schooling fish (our plan was to have 6, but we never made it up to that number), so my one fish seems to be searching for a friend. I feel bad for adding fish that eventually die. I have no idea what we're doing wrong!

Hi, I'm new to aquariums, and I would appreciate any help.

We have a 10-gallon tank, and we let it cycle without fish for several weeks. We added 4 Glofish at once and they all died almost immediately. The pet store checked the water, and everything was perfect. They suggested we didn't have sufficient bacteria, so we got SafeStart Plus and added 2 Glofish. One died overnight, and one has lived three days. We added one Glofish yesterday, and everything seemed fine, so we added two more today. I read they are schooling fish, so we wanted to have 4. We have 3 snails that have lived since the beginning, and they are thriving. Each time we add new fish, we add SafeStart. I have checked the water with the API Master Kit each day, and the water is in normal parameters for each test.

Any ideas? My three-year-old loves the Glofish, but should we think about trying a different type of fish? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Just for starters...

Are you using a dechlorinator?

How did you "cycle" your tank for several weeks?

You absolutely need a liquid test kit. API makes a good one that tests ph, nitrites, nitrates and ammonia.

You shouldn't need to use the high range ph test.

What type of filtration are you using?

Just for starters...

Are you using a dechlorinator?

How did you "cycle" your tank for several weeks?

You absolutely need a liquid test kit. API makes a good one that tests ph, nitrites, nitrates and ammonia.

You shouldn't need to use the high range ph test.

What type of filtration are you using?

I am using the API liquid test kit. I used the high range pH test because the regular pH test said the water was 7.6, which is the highest it shows.

Yes, we used the Tetra Safe Balance to dechlorinate the water.

We set up the tank with the water conditioner for several weeks before putting in the fish. I now realize we didn't build up bacteria. We added SafeStart plus with the second batch of fish (and all subsequent additions just to be safe).

The filter is a Tetra Whisper filter for 10 gallon aquariums.

Do you think our three snails are causing any problems to the fish? Just trying to rule everything out.

My ph is the same. I've kept all types of fish so that shouldn't be the problem. Did you acclimate the fish that died immediately after you added them?
Sounds like you're on the right track now. Personally I wouldn't rely on the SafeStart products to cycle your tank. If you still have any survivors you can do a fish in cycle. It will require frequent testing and water changes but it can be done. Have you tested your ammonia and nitrites? If so, what are the results? It will take some effort to get the tank established but once you do you'll get to relax and enjoy!

Check out the AquaClear 30 on amazon. Such a better filter for your tank if you can swing it.

Last edited:
And no...the snails aren't causing any problems. You'd be amazed at the water conditions they can live through. I've had them live through outrageous ammonia spikes during a cycle.

Do you know anyone with an established aquarium? Maybe a nearby fish store?

Last edited:
My ph is the same. I've kept all types of fish so that shouldn't be the problem. Did you acclimate the fish that died immediately after you added them?
Sounds like you're on the right track now. Personally I wouldn't rely on the SafeStart products to cycle your tank. If you still have any survivors you can do a fish in cycle. It will require frequent testing and water changes but it can be done. Have you tested your ammonia and nitrites? If so, what are the results? It will take some effort to get the tank established but once you do you'll get to relax and enjoy!

Check out the AquaClear 30 on amazon. Such a better filter for your tank if you can swing it.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the ammonia and nitrates are 0. I have one fish left, so I could do a fish in cycle, supposing he continues to live. The longest any have lived is 3 days, and he is on day 3 now.

If my last Glofish dies, I'm thinking about switch to another type of fish. Do you have any recommendations for something I won't kill and will help establish my tank?

Without a doubt I would highly recommend a fishless cycle if you lose the remaining fish. So much easier.
I doubt that the type of fish is the issue here. Could you post a picture of your tank?
Please don't be offended, but are you sure you are following the test kit instructions for each test to the letter? Something's going on with your water. What temp is your tank?

You mentioned ammonia and nitrate results, but have you tested nitrites?

Last edited:

Yes, I've tested for everything that the API master kit tests for. Ammonia, Nitrates, and nitrites are 0. I'm not sure how I could be doing it wrong. You fill the tube up to the line with tank water and add the amount of drops on the label to each tube. I wait the recommended 5 minutes and compare the results to the color chart. Am I missing something?

Attachments

• IMG_5082.jpg
    IMG_5082.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 2,023
Yes, I've tested for everything that the API master kit tests for. Ammonia, Nitrates, and nitrites are 0. I'm not sure how I could be doing it wrong. You fill the tube up to the line with tank water and add the amount of drops on the label to each tube. I wait the recommended 5 minutes and compare the results to the color chart. Am I missing something?

Are you shaking the tube for at least 5 seconds? The nitrate test requires more steps.

Those seashells may be raising your ph.

Do you have access to someone with an established aquarium? We can drastically speed your cycle along if you can add used filter media to your filter.

I'm assuming all those decorations are aquarium safe?

How much are you feeding?

You've come to the right place. If you're willing to put in the effort you will get the help you need to get your tank ready for fish.

Are you shaking the tube for at least 5 seconds? The nitrate test requires more steps.

Those seashells may be raising your ph.

Do you have access to someone with an established aquarium? We can drastically speed your cycle along if you can add used filter media to your filter.

I'm assuming all those decorations are aquarium safe?

How much are you feeding?

You've come to the right place. If you're willing to put in the effort you will get the help you need to get your tank ready for fish.

Yes, all decorations were purchased from pet store in aquarium section.

Yes, I shake each tube for 5 seconds when testing the water.

My mom has a small tank like mine that is established. Would I need a piece of filter, or the whole filter?

I am not feeding the fish much. Only a couple flakes a day. I read you can even feed every other day until the tank cycles. Is this true?

Thanks for all the help; I'm determined to get this right without killing more fish!

Okay good. You need as much of the filter floss as she can give you. What type of filter is on your mom's tank?

Back
Top Bottom