Glofish Tail Fin Completely Gone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerryJayVargas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So Today I Bought A Electric Green Danios From Petco and my danio got stuff in the filter didn't get completely sucked in only its tail as soon as i saw it i grab it and saw that the tail fin of my glofish was completely gone. i was completely pissed cause i lost two galactic tetra from my first filter but thats besides the point (I hate Losing fish) Basically my question is will my danio grow back its tail fin.or is he a goner. i currently have him in a cup with holes punched in so he won't drift off and get pushed around by the filter current. He currently upside down but still alive and will swim up but then will drop down again. help please

A healthy fish will not get sucked in the filter. Have you checked your levels ?

i Have checked everything levels are in perfect condition i think he got sucked in while swimming by and i currently covered the filter with a glofish plant so its not that strong and I'm pretty sure it won't happen again cause all the other fish swim by it and no sign of struggle. could that fish have already been sick ? it will it tail fin grow back or is it a goner

It's possible. Yes if the water is kept pristine he will grow his fin back.

You need to put a prefilter onto your filter intake. I like to purchase foam cut to my specifications from angelsplus.com.

do you think its a smart idea to leave him in a cup with hole in it so it won't drift away and get pushed into the bottom of the tank

currently just add pics for you guys to get a better idea of what I'm talking about and how bad it is

do you think its a smart idea to leave him in a cup with hole in it so it won't drift away and get pushed into the bottom of the tank

I can't picture your description...sorry! If you have that much water turbulence in your tank, I would put him in one of those guppy breeder boxes. Or, if you have a big enough net, keep the net submersed with the fish in it. Tomorrow, go purchase a breeder box and some melafix. Keep changing the water every day 25% with melafix. You may be able to save your fish. And when you are at the petstore, see if you can find a prefilter sponge. If your intake is small enough, this will fit:

Fluval Edge Pre-Filter Sponge - Filter Media - Fish - PetSmart

The do fit the intake of an aquaclear 50.

The video didn't load. The tail will grow back in 2 or 3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom