Glofish Tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ezimmer1990

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was thinking that I could start a Glofish tank. I have a 5gal. That I don't use anymore. I was thinking of getting some black sand to put in there with some other live plants. Maybe some Cory's. Could anyone give me advice about what I could do with my tank for Glofish? Would I need to get like a black light? So they can SHINE. Lol.

Ezimmer1990 said:
I was thinking that I could start a Glofish tank. I have a 5gal. That I don't use anymore. I was thinking of getting some black sand to put in there with some other live plants. Maybe some Cory's. Could anyone give me advice about what I could do with my tank for Glofish? Would I need to get like a black light? So they can SHINE. Lol.

I think:
-Glofish need a 20L tank minimum, so they wouldn't fit in the 5 Gallon.
-You could do Pygmy or panda cories in a 20 Gallon Long with cories.
-You could use Moonlight LEDs and have a black background to bring out the colors of the goldfish.

JMO. Good luck :)

How come they make like little 1 or 2 gallon tanks made for Glofish if they can't fit in them?

It's like goldfish bowls. Goldfish cannot live in two gallons, but that doesn't stop marketing. Glofish are just zebra danios and the recommendation in those is at least a 20gL. They are very active little guys and need that space.

There are plenty of nano fish out there though that can easily fit in a 5g or a betta.

I had a Goldfish in a bowl before and it live a happy life. It like for like a year. DEAL

Ezimmer1990 said:
I had a Goldfish in a bowl before and it live a happy life. It like for like a year. DEAL

A year isn't a full life they can live 10-20 years.

I agree with what had been said. A 20gL is the minimum for glofish. They are very active little fish.

I got a 10 gallon tank today. Noooow can the glofish fit in there? Come onnn.

Well at Petsmart it says glofish need 10+ gallons. So deal with it.

Ezimmer1990 said:

Petsmart is not a reliable source of information. Glofish will become stunted unless they are in a longer tank... I'd say they need at least 30 inches of swimming room, so a 20 gallon long would be the minimum. Stunted glofish will not grow right, and will usually have misaligned spines. Do you want that to happen?

Unfortunately...Petsmart doesn't always give out the right information. Glofish are genetically modified zebra danios, which also need a 20Long tank. If they aren't given enough room to swim they're not going to be very happy fish. I'm just trying to help you out here...:ermm:

THEY WILL LIVE. I'm pretty sure petsmart AND petco are experienced pet people. THEY KNOW WHAT THE ARE TALKING ABOUT OKAY!

Ezimmer1990 said:
THEY WILL LIVE. I'm pretty sure petsmart AND petco are experienced pet people. THEY KNOW WHAT THE ARE TALKING ABOUT OKAY!

Thet don't know what they're talking about. They don't train their employees. Will glofish fit in a ten gallon? yes. Will it be happy? Definitely not. Google glofish stunting one gallon... See what happens. Do you think two pet stores, or thousands of experienced aquariums know what is right?

Ezimmer1990 said:

That's your choice, but don't argue with people you asked advice for when theyre telling you the truth.

You should've asked us if a ten gallon would work before you got it... Can you return it and get a twenty gallon long?

Back
Top Bottom