Glofish - What Are They?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hahaha! Ah man, that would be funny!
Wayne~ It would be kinda hard to keep them from breeding too huh? (Kinda like some of the people around where I live *grumble*)

Hahaha! Ah man, that would be funny!
Wayne~ It would be kinda hard to keep them from breeding too huh? (Kinda like some of the people around where I live *grumble*)

lmao! yea some people that have like 5 kids, one after the other after the other. I think they are crazy! One is enough work lol. They should make it illegal for some people to breed also.... i know quite a few who could stand to be sterilized....

anyways, lol, on the glofish. aren't danios one of those kinds that just breed like crazy anyways? what are you supposed to do say no fishies dont do it?

plus someone has to breed them in order to keep em coming....

I like natural unique fish. That's why I am having a hard time deciding what else I want, I want something different and independant. Too bad most of those wont fit ina 29 gal.

I am starting to worry -I cant find Alejandro . He must be sleeping in his cave.

anyways, lol, on the glofish. aren't danios one of those kinds that just breed like crazy anyways? what are you supposed to do say no fishies dont do it?
they are easy to breed just like normal danio. its not illegal to breed them but it is to sell them. i am not even sure if you can trade or give them away.

plus someone has to breed them in order to keep em coming....
the company who changed their dna breeds them and sells them like crazy.

what they say and what they can really hold up is 2 different things. it would be hard to prove you intentional were breeding them. more so how would they know?

I know mg, just stating the facts lol. They'd probably eat the eggs anyway if left with em. Btw I don't ever remember the ones I kept ever glowing. I mean they were colorful but that's it. Maybe they were defective lol.

Lol it was just a funny thought, if what made them glo still glowed after they died and someone were to use their black market breed fish as feeder fish...it would kinda be like...well when I was a kid we had this dog that loved to eat crayons, made our back yard very colorful.

I wanted so glow fish along with some glass catfish to go in an alien themed tank that never came to fruition. one of our LFS won a prize with a design that was lit fropm underneath with glass tubes in the tank distributing the light by passing it through the substrate. I wanted to make it look like the toxic lake in the Simpsons movie.

I wanted so glow fish along with some glass catfish to go in an alien themed tank that never came to fruition. one of our LFS won a prize with a design that was lit fropm underneath with glass tubes in the tank distributing the light by passing it through the substrate. I wanted to make it look like the toxic lake in the Simpsons movie.

Then you'd need to pick up some one of those radioactive 3-eyed fish too, but from what I remember, Blinky (first one of them) was almost as big as Bart himself. You'd need a humongous tank. ;)

D. rerio is a model organism. It was established as an alternative for people who want to work on a vertebrate but don't want to use mice, rats, or chickens.

GFP= green fluorescent protein. it's from jellyfish. It is widely used in science. The three scientists who discovered it won a nobel prize. there are many other colors: redFP, yellowFP, cyanFP, bluFP.

The idea was to use zebrafish as a biosensor. This isn't as complicated as you would think. If you can find a gene that gets turned on in response to exposure to a specific toxin and place GFP in that spot, then you would have a fish that would in effect sense the toxin.

Please, don't put science in quotes just because you don't understand it. It is very disrespectful. A quick google search would explain how common this stuff is.

-jasonII

Back
Top Bottom