Glowlight Tetra odd behaviour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chronos313

Aquarium Advice Addict
My glowlight tetras, just 2 of them are acting odd, they continuously hide inside a pirate ship. Now I wondering If they are laying eggs or just being silly. Any thoughts?

The last test I did my PH was 7.2, ammonia was 0, and nitrates and nitrites were normal. I have been meaning to do a water change but unfortunately I had a clutch of apple snails decide to hatch the night before I was able to. As for fish it's all in my signature. I think they are guarding eggs personally, but I dare not disturb

What does normal nitrites mean? Nitrites should be ZERO. Nitrites are worse for fish than ammonia.

My Glowfins were acting like that a couple days ago...hiding in a cave formed by some rocks in my tank. Not long after I saw them in the cave they died. I had a columnaris/ick outbreak

Perhaps they are breeding. If not, usually more is always better in the aquarium. I had a school of four glowlights that constantly nipped, so I also put in a school of ten neons and three black neons to keep them more together and active.

In your situation, your rummies are the best indicator of trouble in the tank. If their noses are red, you're probably good. It doesn't mean you shouldn't take tests, but usually if they're happy, the tank as a whole is happy.

Ya my rummy's have nice bright noses, I saw the 2 glowlights they seem to be fine, ill monitor them for a few days and see. And yes my ammonia and nitrites are both at 0. None of my other fish are acting like that. So ya ill just keep an eye on them. I've never encountered ick before so ill do some research on that. What signs should I look for on the fish?

Ich resembles grains of salt sprinkled on the fish..... if you catch it when there are just a few grains, you'll probably make out fine.

Ok so I looked up what ich looks like, and ya they don't have that so I'm thinking they are doing the nasty as my fiancé calls it, will continue to monitor daily. I may pick up a few more glowlights tomorrow, but I really want to get some celestial pearl danios. I work next to a petland an I'm friends with the fish department managers maybe he can special order them for me. That would add some define color to my tank. On the other hand once my apple snail babies grow a bit more then I'll do a 25% water change. It's long overdue. I'll try and post some pics of both my tanks on the future as well.

Corys should be in groups of 5 or more. I would suggest adding to your corys before you think of adding another species to the tank.

So ya I came home from work and inspected my tank, the two glowlights had fizziness around the gills so I removed them

How many did you have to begin with?

It's a good thing to cull sick fish for the good of the tank. I never hesitate to do that. Not everyone can do it, though.

I had 4 glow lights now down to 2 but they chill with my 6 dummy's and 6 neons

How many did you have to begin with?

It's a good thing to cull sick fish for the good of the tank. I never hesitate to do that. Not everyone can do it, though.

I wish I would have done that. I thought I could treat my fish and make them better not realizing how fast some illnesses kill. This was the first time I have ever had to deal with something like that though...not even ick in the past.

It's a ten gallon long right now and they are happier then pig in poop, once they get bigger I'll upgrade to at least a 20

Back
Top Bottom