Glue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdklovesfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have read that you can "glue" things and then put them into your aquarium. What type of glue is safe??

Any certain brand, or just the regular stuff you buy at home depot?
No, you cannot use just any kind. It must NOT contain mold or bacterial inhibitors. Usually, if it doesn't say "aquarium safe" on the package put it back. Yes, you can get it much cheaper at your hardware store as compared to your LFS.

Really, superglue? It's safe for fish? That stuff is crazy; all the things you can do with it.
"Really really."
Seriously, 100% aquarium/reef safe. Just make sure it is the Cyanoacrylate type (there are many types of superglue on the market today), it will say on the package. Use the GEL stuff, the regular runny stuff just makes a mess and one usually ends up with their fingers glued to something (usually together or the rag you try to wipe it off with).

Gorilla glue is not a good choice. It is a water based glue and therefore will break down in water. Plus it is relatively expensive when you compare it to a three pack of generic superglue.

Gorilla glue is not a good choice. It is a water based glue and therefore will break down in water. Plus it is relatively expensive when you compare it to a three pack of generic superglue.

it seems to work for the guy I know. I don't use it, but he's got tanks and tanks of frags that seem to be holding tight to their ceramic mounts. His customers seem happy too. Use what you want, just passing on some info.

oh, and I suggest you email gorilla glue and let them know their product is not waterproof, you might want to let the FTC and CPSC know as well since they advertise 100% waterproof. http://www.gorillatough.com/index.php?page=gorilla-glue

Also, it isn't really expensive. At about $5.00 a tube that will last a figurative lifetime, it is more versatile than superglue and costs about the same. maybe, what, 1 or 2 bucks more?

I wasn't offended in the slightest. Its just a shame when people so easily put out misinformation on a messageboard where people go to get information.

I use to use gorilla glue almost daily at work and it is water proof but it does not cure the same as superglue. It will degrade over time much much faster the superglue especially in sw. Using it on frags is fine though as they will end up encrusting to the plug and over any of the glue but for scape work or something like that I would never use it.

Just for clarification, everyone on this thread understands that Gorilla now makes "Super Glue" correct? We aren't talking about the original Gorilla Glue.

Just for clarification... She wasn't asking about glueing frags, she was asking about glueing "things". Go ahead, glue your rocks and other stuff with original Gorilla glue, see what happens in a couple of months.

Sorry I was talking about the original but you did just say "gorilla glue" which makes me think the original not the super glue cause the super glue is pretty much the same exact thing as all the others which I just label them all super glue.

Before you act all butt-hurt, go re-read what I posted. I was giving .02 about using gorilla glue to glue frags, which would fall under the unbrella category of "things" that can be glued. I was specific to frags and also noted that the manufacturer claims it is 100% waterproof. I also said I don't use it. You go ahead and use it or don't use it. It has no effect on me.

I think we should find out what she's trying to glue before we make any recommendations

Wow guys! I was asking for decorations and little stuff like that. I'll use super glue because I always have super glue in my first aid kit. I'll double check to make sure it's the correct kind. Thanks for the info and sorry for causing such a gorilla glue uproar.

Wow guys! I was asking for decorations and little stuff like that. I'll use super glue because I always have super glue in my first aid kit. I'll double check to make sure it's the correct kind. Thanks for the info and sorry for causing such a gorilla glue uproar.

Hehe, don't sweat it. Little uproars happen all the time when someone contradicts something that another someone learned at an LFS. There will be no hard feelings between us, well as far as I'm concerned anyway.

Back
Top Bottom