Goby Identification Continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kukerdan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I cleaned the light cover, and now there is alot more light in the tank, so i was able to get some great shots of my gobies, although it was hard... lol

Please ID these fish

Gobies are notoriously hard to identify but I can make a few educated stabs at a couple of them.

The first one is most likely one of the Dormitator species (Sleeper Gobies) and though I'm not in a position to venture an educated guess as to the species it looks similar to some pictures I've seen of Dormitator latifrons, the Western Sleeper Goby which hails from the western coast of North and Central America. They can reach about 10 inches and are inactive but predatory.

I'd say the second one closely resembles the Asian 'Marbled Goby' (Oxyeleotris marmorata). This is one of the largest of all the gobies, reaching nearly 50cm (about 1 1/2 feet) at full adulthood. They are very predatory and smaller fish are not safe around them. You might be surprised at how large of a fish they can engulf.

The third fish is probably also a 'Sleeper Goby' of some sort but I can't quite get a handle on which one. Is the blue spot in the picture an artifact of the photography process or does the fish actually have a spot like that?

-Joe

the fish has one of the spots on both sides, the first and 3rd fish are usually at the top of the tank ready to eat, the middle one stays on the bottom and 'crawls' around everything and tries to ambush fish, the other two (first and third) never attacked anything(yet) and are pretty well tempered and come to watch me if i sit in front of the tank, the first one will jump out of the water if i wiggle my finger above the tank

The first one is Morgurnda morgurnda.....the purple-spotted gudgeon. Joe is correct on the other two (I actually have 4 O. marmorata myself).

Fruitbat said:
I'd say the second one closely resembles the Asian 'Marbled Goby' (Oxyeleotris marmorata). This is one of the largest of all the gobies, reaching nearly 50cm (about 1 1/2 feet) at full adulthood. They are very predatory and smaller fish are not safe around them. You might be surprised at how large of a fish they can engulf.

Don't ignore this, though....even at 6" these fish are going to be a serious threat to a number of the fish you have listed as their tankmates.

Back
Top Bottom