godfish in 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

triazole

Aquarium Advice Freak
will one goldfish be ok in a 10g tank? my friend wants to keep one, if possible two, and doesn't have space for a larger tank. TIA for your help.

I think the rule is 20g for one goldfish and 10 more gallons for every one after that. Personally though, I'd go with 30g for one goldie because they are messy fish and get pretty big.

are there any dwarf species? i reiterate that space is a constraint.

thanks rich...
twohobbies, maybe i should go for fishy makeup n try to make normal fishes look like goldies...alright, back to the drawing board...

Don't get discouraged. There are plenty of fish that are better looking than a goldfish and will do perfectly fine in a 10g (like the one in my avatar).

By the way, welcome to AA.

Bettas, dwarf gouramis, and apistos (and other dwarf cichlids) are all colorful and have interesting personalities. They stay small too and are tropical, unlike goldfish.

well, my friend gave in and decided on a 20g, with 2 goldies in it. its going to be a coldwater tank, so no probs there.
thanks for the thread verucaproduce. but we're looking at fancy goldies, and i'm pretty sure they won't grow beyond 8". we'd buy them as juvies, and i'll do some convincing to upgrade the tank as they grow larger...

Oh fancies can grow over a foot long, plus they are almost as wide as they are long. If they get full sized, they may not be able to turn around in a 20g.

I've never seen even a picture of a 1 foot fancy (unless you are counting single tails like subunkins). 2 (double tailed) fancies will be quite happy in a 20 gal. Yes, they'll get to 8-9", but that will be years down the road.

If given a choice, bigger tank is always better, and shallower tanks (ie 20 Long) better due to larger surface area & swimming room.

Have you ever seen what a Koi pot is used for? For thousands of years, the Japanese keep their Koi in a pot for the winter time. Although I would never do this, the fish live on and on. Your fish will be just fine in that tank.

If it gets too big, get it a bigger tank.

thanks guys. i talked to a local guy dealing with goldies all his life, and he assured me that they'd be ok too. the 20L wasn't bought as the 20H came in a package at walmart, and my friend loved the price (damn walmart). i tried to coax her to buy the 20L, but alas...
anyway, set up the tank last night, and will be adding fishies later. i'll drop some media from my filter to get the cycle a kickstart. keeping my fingers crossed.

I've heard of a dwarf species of goldfish called china dolls or baby dolls or just plain dolls. From what I've heard they only get 3-4 inches long. Still, they're going to be too big for a 10g.

Back
Top Bottom