Going away!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I'm going away with work for a week in june and it'll be the first time I've left my tanks for any period of time.
As much as I know my dad loves my pets as much I do. He's not great with not over feeding.
Will my tanks be ok with a week of no feeding?

My main tank has at present 7 tetras, 5 corys, 3 ottos and a ton of assassin snails! Lots of plants
My betta tank has my beauty in it and chilli rasboras

I normally feed once a day and have a fast day on Sunday when the tanks are cleaned

Why don't you just get some of those feeding cubes or even get some plastic tubs and put some food in them (one tub for each day and for each tank) and your dad can just empty the food into the tanks each day without having to measure out how much food to put in himself?

If you don't want to do that though then yeah, your fish should probably be fine with no food for a week.

The fish will be fine when you're gone - fish can go weeks without food. Just do a pwc and feeding before you leave, and no care should be needed.

The "weekend feeders" are a good concept, however I have had bad experiences with lots of uneaten food causing ammonia spikes. If you for some reason MUST feed them while away, IMO autofeeders are a better option, however those can overfeed as well.

Bottom line is, though, they'll be fine for a week :)

Another option which is what I've used in the past is to make up a baggie of food for each day with the amount you want fed. That ensures he will only feed the amount you leave.

Thanks guys. I wouldn't want to you those vacation cubes I don't trust them at all. Maybe I'll set up the food in one of those daily pill box things for him. Surely he can't get that wrong!!

You can get feeding block things that release a certain amount of food each day, my dad uses them when he goes on holiday and I'll be using them soon too, he never had any problems with them :)

Back
Top Bottom