Going away for a month

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jorik

Aquarium Advice Regular
What must I do with my fish my friend will be looking after the dogs. But a rock knows more about fish than he does

The only thing he can di is feeding them

I have kois (in the pond)

Bettas (in a 15 gallon)

A community tank (consisting mostly of guppies and corys)

And my prized Pablo the black ghost knife fish

What must I do

If your friend can't properly take care of them then I would suggest going to a LFS to see if there is anyone you could hire to come and do water changes once a week while you're gone with your friend feeding the fish.

Let me put it nicely we dont have lfs we have pet shops in theone there's always a dead fish somewhere and the one whothat can help is under staffed and the one working there who know what's she's doing is moving she lived next to me

Let me put it nicely we dont have lfs we have pet shops in theone there's always a dead fish somewhere and the one whothat can help is under staffed and the one working there who know what's she's doing is moving she lived next to me

A month isnt to terrible. How much nitrates build up over a week? If nitrates stay under 60 ppm after a month of no water changes then you will be ok. Your friend can feed them ( I recomend putting each days food portion in pill organizers before leaving to prevent over feeding). When you get back start with a 5-10% water change. Keep doing those small water changes everday until nitrates are at a desireable level. Then you can go back to regular maintance!

Thanks while I was waiting for a reply. I just sat and looked at all the fish before I leave and said to myself this is tough fish most of them survived the big move

Thanks while I was waiting for a reply. I just sat and looked at all the fish before I leave and said to myself this is tough fish most of them survived the big move

I would do a large water change before leavinv if its not to late.

I agree with the pill containers. They're fool proof. I used them when I was gone for a month and my friend fed my fish for me. To keep nitrates low you could add some floating plants like water lettuce, frogbit, hornwort or anacharis.

I agree with the pill containers. They're fool proof. I used them when I was gone for a month and my friend fed my fish for me. To keep nitrates low you could add some floating plants like water lettuce, frogbit, hornwort or anacharis.

How do those plants keep nitrates low?

How do those plants keep nitrates low?

Plants use nitrate as food, some more than others. Theyll help but wont eliminate build up.

OP. Just make sure you over do the water changes leading up to the day you go so the the nitrates are almost 0 in your tanks to give them the best chance. I think youll be OK. And to make a point of whats already been mentioned it is extremely important to make sure theyre not overfed.

Almost foolproof. Be sure to instruct friend to empty it into hand first. That will eliminate the issue if more than one lid is (accidentally ) open. And a net handy to scoop out extra food if it does happen.

Did everything you all said hope they live flying in 2 hours talk soon

What must I do with my fish my friend will be looking after the dogs. But a rock knows more about fish than he does The only thing he can di is feeding them I have kois (in the pond) Bettas (in a 15 gallon) A community tank (consisting mostly of guppies and corys) And my prized Pablo the black ghost knife fish What must I do

Put less food in little tubs than you would normally feed then get him to dump one tub in every other day

People normally over feed when they don't know your tank

Feeding every other day will mean you don't have such a impact on the water

Back
Top Bottom