Going away for almost 3 weeks, what to do with fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennyb123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I hope I am posting this in the correct place, sorry if not!

I am going away for 2 weeks and 5 days in November/December this year, and I'm not sure what is the best thing to do with my fish. I have 6 bronze corys and 5 (male) guppies in a 65 litre planted tank. I read already that the best option would be have someone come and check in on them but unfortunately this is not an option for me. I can either:
- Buy another tank and leave it at a friend or family members house and use the filter I already have so that no cycling is necessary. This person would be left with strict instructions for feeding and water changes. It would be half an hour to 3 hours drive depending on who I left them with.
- Or just leave them with a some sort of feeder block (preferably one that wouldn't make a mess of my tank), make sure water change is done before leaving and do lots of water changes when I get back. What would you recommend? :thanks:

Another question: Could I get some sort of nitrate removal sponge like the Juwel compact one and cut it to be a suitable size for my Interpet filter? Or would I have to get one specially made for Interpet filters? This might help the nitrate stay down while I was away if I decided to leave them where they are?

Jenny

Welcome!

Gee, I'm so tempted on that another tank idea (which would eventually make its way back to my house :) ). If the person has experience, I always think someone checking on fish, ect is best imo.

Another option would be the auto-fish feeders. Better than blocks I find by far but the ones I've used can be finicky to get the dosing right (fine grained pellets might be better than flakes).

Ehiem auto feeder 30ish bucks = peace of mind. I believe there 2 week feeders.

Lol! I totally agree with Delapool! I'd get another tank, set it up a.s.a.p. might as well get another filter. Put the new one on old tank, take old one to cycle new tank. Let the friend take care of them.then when u get back. U can get more fish. ? or u could just sell it when ur done to the friend who's taking care of ur fish. Cause by the time u get back. They might want a tank. ? almost 3 wks to relay on a auto feeder, what if it fails.

Auto feeder or ask your local fish store to take care of your fish. Give them food and some tip. They will help

Back
Top Bottom