Going away for two weeks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shetland James

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm going to Thailand (from Scotland) for 2 weeks on Thursday. What should I do about my tank? My parents won't clean it (even if I showed them how, they would just forget). I was thinking I'd give it a large clean on Wednesday and then kinda just hope it doesn't get too dirty before I come back?

if it's cycled then just get them to feed the fish once every couple of days. I'd give them premeasured amounts and dates to feed. Assuming the tank is in good shape it'll be fine without a water change/cleaning for that time.

Fish will have no trouble going two weeks with little or no food. A couple of feedings will be more than adequate and will help keep the waste down.

what kind of fish do you have? I dont know why people get so worried about having their tanks cleaned every week. if its cycled it can be fine for a long time with just water changes. i havent cleaned my tank since i moved, 3 weeks ago and all parameters are fine

Back in the infancy of my hobby before I knew what it took to take care of fish I did a PWC once every 2-3 months, the longest being about 5 months. The fish had no problems, and had all the signs of happy fish. I'd even go away for 4-5 days without feeding and they seemed fine during that time as well. After getting back into the hobby reading about all the things you "have" to do to keep fish healthy, I'm beginning to think some of it may be overkill. Either that or my fish just adapted to life in a bad environment.

Back in the infancy of my hobby before I knew what it took to take care of fish I did a PWC once every 2-3 months, the longest being about 5 months. The fish had no problems, and had all the signs of happy fish. I'd even go away for 4-5 days without feeding and they seemed fine during that time as well. After getting back into the hobby reading about all the things you "have" to do to keep fish healthy, I'm beginning to think some of it may be overkill. Either that or my fish just adapted to life in a bad environment.

i agree with you 100%. you really think fish can find food every day in the wild? I mean its nice to clean it that often but in reality we keep fish in aquariums in more then ideal conditions. Think of the fish that come from the amazon, how clean is that water? As long as the parameters are good like nitrate nitrites and ammonia you fish will be fine. yea there are some fish that have very specific needs and cant handle little changes in water quality.

Back
Top Bottom