Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-08-2006, 04:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Location: That place between sleeping and awake, where dreams become reality and songs of the heart are born
Going Brackish

How much salt per gallon does it take to make your tank officially Brackish?

Old 05-08-2006, 04:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

To go from FW to BW, you need a hydrometer and marine salt. Brackish environments in nature have quite a range and are considered anything between FW and SW.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

You really want to aim for 1.010 to 1.015 in my opinion. What fish are you considering and what tank size? I really recommend Mono Sebae for bigger tanks, theyre beautiful.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Location: That place between sleeping and awake, where dreams become reality and songs of the heart are born
Its a 29 gallon and my brother got a dragonfish and plopped him in. Hes so ugly hes cute. Now I have an excuse to get a bigger tank right. Heh heh I just found out today though that he needs to have his tank brackish. Also their are some platys barbs and a swordtail in there. I've heard they tolerate brackish and that the Platy even like it. Is this true before I go and pop in the salt?
Old 05-09-2006, 01:57 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Of the livebearers, Mollies are best known for enjoying a BW tank; you'll have to do some research on the others.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:18 PM   #6
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
It would be best to either get a larger tank for the dragonfish or bring him back to the LFS. These guys can get over 20" long and require brackish water, while those other fish need freshwater.
Check this site out: http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Oddball,...gon%20Goby.htm
Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:28 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh I know the dragons can get to be huge. The largest one in captivity on record was 27" long and lived to be 5 yrs old. A bigger tank for him is definetly on its way. He's so cute! I did some research and found that swordtails and platys are in fact fond of brackishwater.

It's on this page

http://user.aol.com/cebrezzi/aquarium/index23.html

I'm reading up on barbs right now. Be back later with findings
Old 05-10-2006, 03:44 AM   #8

I have two dragon gobys and the one thing you will need tofind out before you add the salt. You need to ask the LFS .
1.Where they got it from?
2. If it was raised in freash water or brakish?
Alot of the dragon fish found at your LFS have been bron and raised in freash water never ever seeing brakish set ups. If it's from a fish farms in the western U.S. it's never seen brackish water and there for that set up will kill it. If they have got the goby from the eastern area of the U.S. { I beleave most of the florda fish farms } are raised in abrakish hatchery. I found that if they've come from the western states adding them to salt of any kind. Will cause them to turn a ungly gray color and dyi shortly after.
I tryed returning him to the LFS that's when I found out. That there is a differnts in them andwhere they come from means alot. But I'd thank your being in Connecticut. That your area would get them from the eastern states.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

His color was turning an ugly gray and he'd lost his iridescence in the freshwater. That's why I was looking up info on him and found out if he doesnt get brackish water this will happen and if you let it go he will die. So last night I put in one tablespoon of aquarium salt and this morning he has some of his golden glow back. Not as slimy looking and he's more active. I will continue to up it a tablespoon at a time over time so that I can acclimate him and the platys and swordtails and barbs slowly to the brackish environment so they don't gointo shock from sudden large salinity change. It is supposed to be 1 tablespoon per 5 U.S. gallons of tank water. So I need 3 and a quarter more tablespoons before the tank is completely Brackish. Oh and I found out that barbs can livein Brackish conditions ONLY if you acclimate them to it slowly first. I really wouldn't pour all the salt in any way even if all the fish in the tank were truly brackish. If they've been living in fresh acclimazation is neseccary as I said before they will go into shock and die if you add all the salt at once. I have a question now as to what would be a good small brackish tank cleaning fish?? anyone have any suggestions?? I did have mystery snails in my tank but I had to move them due to the salt.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

For a brackish tank, you'll need marine salt rather than aquarium salt.

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brackish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com