Going for crystal clear water : add 2nd filter for "mechanical only" filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kindafishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Going for crystal clear water : add 2nd filter for "mechanical only" filtration?

I am thinking of adding a 2nd filter to my tank. I currently have a small canister filter running, which does a great job especially in terms of bio filtering.

Nonetheless, I would like to enhance the mechanical filtering element. Instead of making room for more mechanical media (which would mean removing bio media - don't want to do that), I would like to add a 2nd "mechanical only" filter.

Something small, maybe even interior. Do small mechanical only filters even exist? If so, what brands / models are good?

(My tank is rather small -- 64 liters / 17 US gallons)

Thanks! :flowers:

There's no such thing as over-filtration, so don't let me steer you away from that...but have you tried running poly-fil in your canister filter? It doesn't take up much space and does an unbelievable job of removing tiny particles in the water. You'd be shocked how filthy that stuff gets after a week.

Hi eco -- yes, the last layer in my filter is poly-fil. It does get nasty quick, so at least I know it's working! Still, I think there is room for improvement. I have a really good gravel vac, too -- but I just can't seem to get the crystal clearness that I am looking for.

Come to think of it -- I do have a bunch of stuff (mechanical + bio media) in there packed pretty tightly. Maybe the tight packing is why I am not getting perfect mechanical filtering?

I keep a little ten gallon filter on the other side of my tank, that way i get good circulation from a filter on each end.
And i think any filter would work, you could buy those cut-able sponge inserts for it

I keep a little ten gallon filter on the other side of my tank, that way i get good circulation from a filter on each end.
And i think any filter would work, you could buy those cut-able sponge inserts for it

Yes, this is sort of along the lines I am thinking. Not something big at all (especially to avoid too much circulation), but enough to add a little 'extra'.
My fish are spoiled rotten. :D

Back
Top Bottom