Going on a vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well considering fish don't get fed during shipping (anywhere from 2-4 days or more) they will be fine.

I wouldn't worry about it, a good fast is actually good for them from time to time. Clears out the dig. System and also makes them appreciate you as a provider! Well.. made up that last part but sounds good..right?!,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My rams survived 7+ up days without eating when they were shipped. As said above 2 days is such a little time that I wouldn't even worry about it. For future trips penn-plex makes an automatic twice a day feeder. I have one but I've never used it. Idk what the view is on feeder blocks now a days but API makes this really cool one that on day 4 it releases tubex worms. It's supposed to last 14 days. I'm going on a vacation to the key west so I bought one of the API blocks and a tetra gel block for my tank both say they are for 14days but I have a larger tank so both should roughly last me 5 days. I also bought digital timers to turn my lights off and on.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Vacation Tank Care

Hey guys what would be the best way to keep my fish fed or would they be ok not eating a day or two max.

Hello name...

Fish can easily go a couple of weeks without food. When I go on vacation, it's for 2 weeks. A couple of weeks before I leave, I start feeding the fish a little more and a little more often. Then a couple of days before I go, I stop all feeding and do a larger than normal water change.

The fish live off their small fat reserve and I come home to a clean tank.

Pretty simple.

B

A day or two? They can go for days without food if they're healthy.
A couple of days is no problem, enjoy your vacation.

Just don't use vacation feeders and they will be fine!

Are they really that bad?

I've heard they make a mess.. cloudy and spike parameters, your fish would eat non stop.. poop armagedon..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have this one that claims to be gel and that It won't cloud water.

I have this one that claims to be gel and that It won't cloud water.

Not possible. Unless your fish are eating the majority of the food and you don't have a bloom of hetrophic bacteria(spelt wrong lol). Basically the food is always being released if your fish are eating or not so you are over feeding first off. All the extra food both eating and uneaten are creating waste which isn't good for your parameters. If there is to much waste for your bb then your experience a mini cycle as well as cloudy water from the minicycle. Not to mention your fish could get bloat and such from over eating.

Lots of cons and maybe one pro of feeding your fish for a few days which they can do without and is beneficial to some fish.

Now I have a discus tank and I can leave it for a week and not have an issue. Yes the bottom will be rather dirty but I have my feeders and my plants can keep the nitrate down to 5ppm at the end of the week. But why would you get something that only works once when you could just buy a feeder and it may be useful later in life with fish that require 4-5 feedings daily.

Not possible. Unless your fish are eating the majority of the food and you don't have a bloom of hetrophic bacteria(spelt wrong lol). Basically the food is always being released if your fish are eating or not so you are over feeding first off. All the extra food both eating and uneaten are creating waste which isn't good for your parameters. If there is to much waste for your bb then your experience a mini cycle as well as cloudy water from the minicycle. Not to mention your fish could get bloat and such from over eating.

Lots of cons and maybe one pro of feeding your fish for a few days which they can do without and is beneficial to some fish.

Now I have a discus tank and I can leave it for a week and not have an issue. Yes the bottom will be rather dirty but I have my feeders and my plants can keep the nitrate down to 5ppm at the end of the week. But why would you get something that only works once when you could just buy a feeder and it may be useful later in life with fish that require 4-5 feedings daily.

HobGob, this is totally off topic but I need you to clear your private messages. Please notify me when you do.

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Back
Top Bottom