Going On Vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ianeberle

Aquarium Advice Freak
In December I will be traveling out of state for a week and need to know how to feed my fish. Over the summer, I went away for two weeks and used an EHEIM auto feeder, but in order to do that I have to have half of my tank's hood open and I don't want any fish jumping out while I'm gone. I have fairly large fish - an angelfish, a rainbow shark (the jumper), a bumblebee catfish, two bristlenose plecos and then some smaller species. It's a 36 gallon tank.

I also have a 10 gallon shrimp tank. I was planning on just letting them go for one week without supplement food. They normally eat the tank biofilm so they should be okay.

Going on Vacation

In December I will be traveling out of state for a week and need to know how to feed my fish. Over the summer, I went away for two weeks and used an EHEIM auto feeder, but in order to do that I have to have half of my tank's hood open and I don't want any fish jumping out while I'm gone. I have fairly large fish - an angelfish, a rainbow shark (the jumper), a bumblebee catfish, two bristlenose plecos and then some smaller species. It's a 36 gallon tank.

I also have a 10 gallon shrimp tank. I was planning on just letting them go for one week without supplement food. They normally eat the tank biofilm so they should be okay.

Hello ian...

Your aquatic animals can easily go a week without food, two weeks pushes it a little, but all you need to do is feed a little more for a couple of weeks prior to leaving. Two days prior, stop feeding and change out a little more tank water than usual.

Your fish will be fine and you'll come home to a clean tank.

B

Don't even bother worrying about feeding the fish for the week your gone, as long as your tank's cycled/established, everything should be as you left it. Your fish will be fine without being feed for the week. They'll just scavenge the tank for anything to nibble on and just not eat the rest of the time.

I gave my fish just a little extra the day before I left on my summer vacations and just did a PWC and feed as normal when I returned.

Back
Top Bottom