Going on vacation please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MineShaker

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am going on vacation for 5 days and need to know how long my pets can go without eating I wish I wasn't going on vacation ?

My fish are

1 blue crayfish

1 dwarf puffer

3 black kuhlii loaches

And in a different tank

7 red cherry shrimp

How long can each one go without eating I really hope they will be ok

Sent from the crayfish lover Mine Shaker

I can't speak of the puffers, but the others should be fine. I've been gone for 7-10 days at a time with no issues. Big water change before you leave and one when you return.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I am going on vacation for 5 days and need to know how long my pets can go without eating I wish I wasn't going on vacation ?

My fish are

1 blue crayfish

1 dwarf puffer

3 black kuhlii loaches

And in a different tank

7 red cherry shrimp

How long can each one go without eating I really hope they will be ok

Do a water change before you leave to get nitrates down and feed your normal amount should be fine as long as you don't have an insane amount of evaporation. Though you do have a crayfish and a dwarf puffer both are kinda iffy with other fish on good days imo.

5 days.... No problem.
Enjoy your vacation.

As said, worry more about your parameters than about the feeding, they'll be fine.

I've left my puffers for 5 or 6 days with no problem. Just feed normally the day you go and do a big water change on both tanks before you go. The RCS should be fine as well. Don't sweat it, lots of fish go a few days without eating and are just fine.

The crayfish will eat snails and so will the puffer so stop by the pet store and ask for some snails off of their plants and drop them in with the crayfish and puffer.

When I go away I do the following for my goldfish tanks:
- A big water change - 90%.
- Clean the filter (with aquarium water!).
- Set up a lamp in the room to turn on for 7-11pm, to follow usual routine.
- Have automatic feeders to issue breakfast (half rations).
- I also arrange for someone (trustworthy!) to visit every night to check on the fish and give them dinner (I pre prepare in small containers, half rations).

This has always worked when going away for up up 5-6 days, but it wouldn't be enough during a heat wave (35-46C). I avoid going away in the hottest time of the year as water changes every night are essential for goldfish, but with your fish it might be ok.

I hope this helps :)

When I go away I do the following for my goldfish tanks:
- A big water change - 90%.
- Clean the filter (with aquarium water!).
- Set up a lamp in the room to turn on for 7-11pm, to follow usual routine.
- Have automatic feeders to issue breakfast (half rations).
- I also arrange for someone (trustworthy!) to visit every night to check on the fish and give them dinner (I pre prepare in small containers, half rations).

This has always worked when going away for up up 5-6 days, but it wouldn't be enough during a heat wave (35-46C). I avoid going away in the hottest time of the year as water changes every night are essential for goldfish, but with your fish it might be ok.

I hope this helps :)

Thanks you take good care of your goldfish

Back
Top Bottom