Gold claw crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfan1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had recently purchased some gold claw crabs. They came from a brackish tank. My tank is also brackish. This afternoon I noticed one crab was almost dead. the others seem to be doing fine. Scavenging and climbing all over everything. The only other fish in the tank are guppies and a pleco. Now am I doing something wrong or are crabs sensitive to changes in environment? Like switching from tank to tank. I would like to replace it but don't want to loose another one. Please if anyone has info about these crabs let me know. Thanks.

Yes I did acclimate them. Like I said all are doing fine except for the one dying. Hmmm??

He could just have been a bad hermit lol. I suggest you get another one. If 1 died out of 3. It was just the crab.

-Dylan

I don't know anything about them but, crabs are opportunists and generally not a good mix with fish.

What are you terming "brackish"? What is your SG? The pleco won't survive brackish conditions for very long. How long has the tank been set up? Is it fully cycled? What is your maintenance routine? Sorry for all the questions, but the answers will help others help you.

HN1 said:
I don't know anything about them but, crabs are opportunists and generally not a good mix with fish.

What are you terming "brackish"? What is your SG? The pleco won't survive brackish conditions for very long. How long has the tank been set up? Is it fully cycled? What is your maintenance routine? Sorry for all the questions, but the answers will help others help you.

+1111! Next time I should look at the details! ;)

-Dylan

Woahhh copy much?? Lol u can have my name its alright. Anyway, welcome to the forums.

from, Adam

Lol Adam. Never saw this name before. Sorry.

My water is not that salty. I was told by my fish guy to just put 1 tsp per 3 gallons seeing how I wanted a community tank. My tank is well cycled. It has been running almost exactly one year with no probs. with water condition or anything like that. All my other fish are happy as they could possibly be. : )

That does not equal brackish so it won't be the proper environment for any true brackish creatures.

I know that is not exactly brackish. But what else am I supposes to call it? Salt water? I think it's closer to brackish. These crabs only need the salt as juveniles. They can be slowly acclimated to do without. The reason for less salt is so that I can have my pleco and maybe some other species in the future. Thanks.

Aquarium salt right? That "salt" doesn't create brackish. You need marine or an alternative. I wish you luck, you seem to have found an LFS that you trust. I hope they don't cost you too much money or frustration in the long run.

I use Mediterranean sea salt. I find it's the most natural I can find. And it's cheap. I'm not to worried about cost. I sold a slew of red jewel cichlids I had been beading. I just put the money back into my hobby. I just want to make sure I have a happy community in my tank.

fishfan, instead of creating another post its easyer to "edit" your previous post. its on the bottom right hand of all your posts and its next to the quote botton:)

Fishfan1 said:
Lol Adam. Never saw this name before. Sorry.

My water is not that salty. I was told by my fish guy to just put 1 tsp per 3 gallons seeing how I wanted a community tank. My tank is well cycled. It has been running almost exactly one year with no probs. with water condition or anything like that. All my other fish are happy as they could possibly be. : )

Haha I'm just kidding. I don't know much about brackish so I don't really think I can help here.

from, Adam

Back
Top Bottom