Gold fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anthony96

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi i have a 80 litter tank i have tiger barbs, rainbow sharks and a cuckoo catfish and i want to know if i can put a gold fish in there

anthony96 said:
Hi i have a 80 litter tank i have tiger barbs, rainbow sharks and a cuckoo catfish and i want to know if i can put a gold fish in there

No for a few of reasons.
Your tank is already overstocked. 80L is about 20gallons. 20g is too small for rainbow sharks. 55g minimum for one 'shark'. They are also territorial. As they grow they will get aggressive towards each other. Tiger barbs need a 20g long tank minimum with no tank mates. The catfish I don't know about.
One fancy goldfish requires 80L just for one fish. Each one after that needs 10g. Common, comets, koi, etc are pond fish and IMO don't belong in tanks.
And lastly, goldfish and tropicals require different temperatures so should not be kept in the same tank.

anthony96 said:
What would happen if i put it in there

You would be exposing the goldfish to incorrect temperatures and increasing your bioload by a significant amount. Goldfish are messy fish and produce a lot of waste. They need as much space as you can give them. Putting a fish in an overstocked tank when that one fish stocks that tank to capacity is highly irresponsible IMO. Over stocked tanks can cause poor water conditions such as high nitrate and dissolved solids and ammonia spikes. The fish will become stressed which then leads to a lower immune system letting disease take hold. Save yourself some trouble and don't do it.

Your shark will probably start getting aggressive as he gets bigger too and start nomming on your other fish, as well as the tiger barbs. A goldfish wouldn't stand a chance even disregarding the size of the tank and bioload. The combination of the two....not a good idea.

What would happen if i put it in there

The most important thing you learn when keeping fish is that it's all about the fish and what they need, it's not about us and what we want.

To put a goldfish into this severely overstocked and incorrectly stocked tank would only serve to make the fish suffer.

Back
Top Bottom