Gold fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big C

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys,

I have a 5 gal fresh water tank with a few minnows (no heater). Is it big enough for goldfish? one or two? Will the minnows be OK with the GF or will they become snacks? Other suggestions?

Thank you. :D

Goldfish need 10gal min. per goldie.

they are extremly messy and they can grow very large... a 5gal isn't suitable for one, in my opinion =o)

OK, lyquidphyre. Then what options do I have other than the goldies? Remember that the minows are there and they are used to room temperature water.

Is this the same 5gal in your signature with the blue cray fish?

You could always acclimate your minnows to a slightly warmer temperature, and add a betta =o)

Oops. I guess my sig needs updating.
Yes it is the same but unfortunately the cray fish is in fishy heaven now. It died of very old age a few months ago. The tank is quite boring without it! I want to give it to my 10 years old goddaughter, Emy, to introduce her to the hobby.

I think the betta is a good idea. They are quite flashy. I never had one, but I hear that they can be very aggressive. Can it tolerate the minnows?

You are right. I can also use a heater and rise the T slowly to aclimate the minnows, it is just that I want to keep it simple for Emy. (I've done the pwc-without-unplugging-the-heater once!)

lyquidphyre said:
Goldfish need 10gal min. per goldie.

they are extremly messy and they can grow very large... a 5gal isn't suitable for one, in my opinion =o)

goldifish need 20g the first fish, and 10g after for every other one. and they still might even outgrow that.

i will second, they are extremely messy, if God wanted river to be polluted like they are, he would have put goldfish in them instead.

i mean unless your willing to do discus like water changes, as well as buying a larger tank. i know when my 2 goldfish died after 11 years, 30 gallons was still not enough. do not get goldfish, unless your willing to get a 55g tank or bigger to put them in.

umm some small tetras, more guppies, a beta if their not to nippy, kuhli loach, adf, posibilities are endless

I think a betta would work out really well. They are pretty hardy fish so a 10 year old could have a few mess ups w/o losing the fish. Also, they are VERY pretty. You mentioned something about aggression- males are aggressive towards other males. So if you get one male (or one female) you will be just fine =o)

Back
Top Bottom