Gold Fish turning black

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vara

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My 4 year old gold fishes are turning black. I learnt that this is due to excess of Ammonia or Ammonia burnt that is causing the black spots. Now my question how I get rid of the black burns on the fish and save them. Are there any medicine that will help this issue. need some on this please!!

What's your ammonia level at? What's their housing like and what do you do to maintain their tank?

Just in case - this can happy with other cleaning chemicals, peroxide, etc as well. In case needs checking.

That topic has been brought up several times. The general concensus is that once the water conditions improve, the affected fish recover, the blacken scales drop off and are replaced with healthy ones. I don't believe there is anyway to speed up the healing process.
Might dose Melafix as a disinfectant.

Pics, yes, would help. Say before this and after.

Also some Goldfish do change colors during their life times.

What size are your Goldfish, what do you feed to them?

What is the size of your tank, and what filter do you have? How much water do you change each water change and how often - daily/week/month.

Nice link for how GF get big fast and can really grow very large in excellent conditions!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

Could be a few things but pics help.

If the majority of the body turns black with a tumor like growth, neural pathways that control coloration could be diseased or pinched off by a tumor.

If parts of the skin turn black and the scales stand out it could be melanosarcoma.

If he turns black and won't feed anymore but has apparent bloating then he could have a flagellate infection.

Ammonia burns can cause color change.

Or could be natural color change but at 4 years old I'd think he wouldn't be changing colors. I could be wrong about that.

Back
Top Bottom