Gold Gourami -- Immobile Pectoral Fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fredmertz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Picked up a pair of gold gouramis at my local Petsmart yesterday and noticed this morning that one of them appears to have an immobile pectoral fin. It just seems to be sticking out and not moving at all.

That should be an instant return, right?

Personally, something like that wouldn't make me return a fish. Could it have been injured when the person netted it at the store? It might heal. But if it looked like a sign of infectious disease then I would.
Fish have an amazing ability to heal.

Hholly -- I am still a newbie and excited to learn. Is there anything I should look for that would help me tell the difference between an injury and an infectious disease?

fredmertz said:
Hholly -- I am still a newbie and excited to learn. Is there anything I should look for that would help me tell the difference between an injury and an infectious disease?

Is there any open sore or fuzzy white growth on it?

No fuzzy white growth. I guess I have two weeks to wait for it to get better. If it is a physical injury, is there anything I can do to help the healing? I don't see any wounds.

Just clean water and good food. Even if it doesn't heal. If the fish is functioning, I would keep it. But that's just me. I like oddballs. :)

He (i think a he) spends a decent amount of time low in the tank, which I understand is not typical for a gourami. Will see how it goes! Thanks for your help.

fredmertz said:
Picked up a pair of gold gouramis at my local Petsmart yesterday and noticed this morning that one of them appears to have an immobile pectoral fin. It just seems to be sticking out and not moving at all.

That should be an instant return, right?

It coulda been injured in a fight or a net somewhere

It's already cycled. I have angels in there and I would never put angels in an uncycled tank.

Ok good. Hope he heals up for you. Maybe being netted and injured just has him traumatized. You should post pictures!

Uh-oh. He's definitely in bad shape. He's up by the top of the tank almost vertical. Definitely still with us, as the other gold gourami seems to be trying to revive him and he's definitely reacting, but he looks like he will be moving on very soon.

Back
Top Bottom