Gold nugget feeding habits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big C

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys,

Like most of you, I spend as long as I can in front of my tank, observing my pets and making sure everybosy is happy.

The gold nugget is new to the tank, only two weeks, and I have yet to see him eating. All the food I put in the tank, day or night, disspears. My barb is a little piggy and I have to be careful because she gets bloated so I've been feeding every other day to help her keep in shape! :roll:

How can I make sure that the GN is eating anything at all?

Thanks.

Pleco's shouldn't be fed during the day since they are nocternal. Your best bet is to turn off the lights, wait about an hour or two, then drop in an algae wafer. The pleco has a better chance at getting to it. He will also eat algae or leftover food. They really aren't picky.

all plecos have different eating habits. My yellow spotted pleco eats all the time right in front of me . The clown pleco is a different story.. he's like a ninga.. half the time I forget i have a clown pleco.. but I catch him at night on the glass or chomping on some wood.

have you tried veggies or some algae wafers? I break up the wafers into about 6 pieces and drop them in different spots, mainly because mr. crowley (my double red) loves the wafers (he loves anything actually). but by doing that , some pieces eventually get to the bottom and the plecos.

I felt the same way you do when i first got my plecos.. and everyone told me.. dont worry.. if they look healthy and no change in color, they're eating..

Don't worry, I never see mine eat either... actually, he's got such a good hiding spot that I really only see one of his fins. Definitely try feeding your algae wafers at night only, and the veggies are a good idea too. I tried feeding mine some cucumber but he didn't even touch it. :roll: I guess mine is picky so I'd better try some other veggies.

Back
Top Bottom