Golden-Algae eater - What should I do??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patwa

Aquarium Advice Activist
Need some serious advice on a Golden Algae Eater (ie. aggression)

here's the deal....i've got a pretty nice planted aquarium i've modeled after a river bank.....i've got a waterfall that flows over some rocks and into the tank....the water that flows is from my Rena Filstar's return ....it's not pumped in from any other source.

i've got a bunch of fish in the tank, ranging from tetras to a banjo cat to a whiptail cat to glass cats, and two gouramis and plecos, among others (not many more, but suffice it to say, i've got a wide variety of community fish).

the Problem:

i've got a golden algae eater that is sort of aggressive ...i woudln't say he's overly aggressive to others, since I only see him bothering the plecos and the male paradise gourami ONCE in a while.

BUT....as he grows older, he will become MUCH more aggressive, right?? at that point will he be a major problem for the rest of my fish???

Should I take him out NOW??

I have some pretty expensive fish in there and I don't want this runt messing things up....i'd much rather deal with this now, than wait to find bite marks on my fish.

the other thing is that my tank is FULL of rocks and other items that would make catching him a SERIOUS problem.....is there a way i can trap him??

oh man....i'm worried...

Zach

I'm preparing to get rid of one of these. He's too busy bothering the goldfish and trying to eat their slime coats instead of, well, eating algea. The tank is starting to get quite a bit of growth, so he's gonna get replaced by a rubber nose pleco.

Your goldern algae eater is being aggressive because they are territorial, he doesn't like the other fish entering his turf.
I would get shot of him, you don't need him you have the pleco.

Trying to catch him will be fun, no suggestions just good luck.

Should I take him out NOW??

I have some pretty expensive fish in there and I don't want this runt messing things up....i'd much rather deal with this now, than wait to find bite marks on my fish.

the other thing is that my tank is FULL of rocks and other items that would make catching him a SERIOUS problem.....is there a way i can trap him??

Yes, get him out asap, it will prolly get worse.

don't know of any way to trap him, but I try to get fish out during water changes, when the water is lowest. I either use 2 nets, or 1 net and a stick. use 1 net or a stick to chase him into the other net. Still not easy, but its the best I've come up with. Sometimes there is no alternative to removing most of the rocks and stuff to get a fish out.

sounds like you know what needs to be done. Trapping is always creative business.
I use the 2 net method they run from one and hit the other. Rocks....hard to catch behind those. Maybe its time for a good cleaning remove the rocks vac under them and catch the squirrely mother. Less water helps to if your wanting to do a 50% change while your at it. Good luck and if all else fails throw in a m-80 and see what floats to the top. Joking!

PrettyFishies said:
How big is your tank? Can you posts Pic PLEASE? I'd love to see this one...

haha no worries....i just bought myself a Canon Elph SD100 digital camera yesterday....i'll get the pictures soon...but i'd much rather deal with this first...

my tank is a 45g...but it is only filled up to about 6" shy of the top...so i'm guessing i have a total of about 35g total ...

Best bet for getting him out is... hate to say it... take your rocks and other decorations out.

I spent the better part of 1.5 hours trying to get three CAEs (in many ways the same fish) out of my 55 gallon, and I was soaked at the end. It wasn't until I finally decided to take every item--plants, driftwood, 3 large rocks--out of the tank that I finally caught them. They are FAST, fast, fast.

Oh, and Zach. I totally agree with PrettyFishies (and Allivymar always asks the same thing) that you should start taking lotsa pix of the tank (perhaps before you dismantle it to get the GAE out)! We all LOVE to see how ppl decorate their tanks here, and what their fish look like. I've finally gotten around to putting up pix of all of my tanks in my gallery.

Good luck fishing (hey, that's one way to get a fish out of your tank)! j/k

I have a golden chinese algae eater, I'm not sure if this is the same as the one you have. He is quite the swimmer though, and very difficult to catch. I usually have to psyche him out or trick him into thinking I'm going one way, then go another.

As for aggression, mine is very territorial. He doesn't like the fish getting in 'his area' when he finds a nice spot to nestle down in and eat. He doesn't appear to nip at them or hurt them, but he will give chase for a little while. Maybe I'm slightly neurotic, but I don't see anything wrong with a little game of chase among friends. hehe Besides, my two remaining tetra like to chase each other through the plants once in a while as well, so I'm not incredibly worried.

I suppose it depends on what your algae eater is doing specifically as far as acting aggressive and how it is effecting the fish you have in the tank. If he's physically injuring them or tiring them out or stressing them, then I would imagine he should go. If mine gets to that phase, he will likely go too.

madasafish said:
Best bet for getting him out is... hate to say it... take your rocks and other decorations out.

I spent the better part of 1.5 hours trying to get three CAEs (in many ways the same fish) out of my 55 gallon, and I was soaked at the end. It wasn't until I finally decided to take every item--plants, driftwood, 3 large rocks--out of the tank that I finally caught them. They are FAST, fast, fast.

Oh, and Zach. I totally agree with PrettyFishies (and Allivymar always asks the same thing) that you should start taking lotsa pix of the tank (perhaps before you dismantle it to get the GAE out)! We all LOVE to see how ppl decorate their tanks here, and what their fish look like. I've finally gotten around to putting up pix of all of my tanks in my gallery.

Good luck fishing (hey, that's one way to get a fish out of your tank)! j/k

bollocks!...this is going to suck...and based on the amoun of work i know i'll have to do, i am pretty sure i'm gonna lose some fish......some of the species I have are just too sensitive......anyone have any tips I should follow for an undertaking of this magnitude?

yah no problemo...i'll take a bunch of pics before I get busy with this golden algae eater....not sure when though, but SOON!........in fact, my my ultimate goal is to be the monthly freshwater picture champion...oh man.. hahaha :D

i've had tanks since I was a kid....but i tell you this tank of mine is like my pride and joy....it's not as flashy (or large) as many fw aquariums i've seen on the web...but honestly, everyone who has seen it says it looks really nice...even when my mother visits she always has to take a look and see what else i've done to it (my mom is a retired aquarium nut...she is the reason i'm soo into fish collecting :wink: ) i've spent sooooo many hours just trying to get the waterfall right.....hahah ahh it's a labour of love

Zach.

What about one of those inverted 2liter home made bottle traps and a yummy piece of spinach and an algae wafer?

I have read elsewhere that when the chinese goldens get large enough to clean up all of the algae, they can turn to a more.... "active" menu.

8O

snapcrackler said:
What about one of those inverted 2liter home made bottle traps and a yummy piece of spinach and an algae wafer?

I have read elsewhere that when the chinese goldens get large enough to clean up all of the algae, they can turn to a more.... "active" menu.

8O

yah that's what i was thinking about....i bought him when he was pretty small, but he has grown quite fast...all in under 6 months!..

what's this about a bottle trap?? have you tried it?? i can say for sure that the golden a-e will go into the bottle to eat the food (he a hungry one!)...BUT how do i engage the trap (or does the trap close itself???....usually when i get to within 5 feet of the tank the damn alage eater darts for the back....i don't see how I can close the trap without him seeing me..

need more info! ;)

Zach

hehe.. fast little bugger...

This fish trap just works on the principle that fish can't really understand how they heck they got in there.

Here is a link on it!

http://www.floridadriftwood.com/fish_trap.htm

Just cut the top 3 inches off of a 2 liter or 1 liter bottle and flip the top part back into itself and fasten it there, you can use zip ties or string through one small hole on either side.

Throw bait inside , drop the trap to the bottom with some weight on top if needed, and wait!

Let us know! also I would like to see pics of your setup too.... :)

I really hope the trap thing works for you and you don't have to tear down your tank. The open bottle and a net might help in a cat a mouse chase down of him as well. Best of luck catching him!!!

hi
i have exactly the same problem. just realised our 'peaceful community fish' is a cae that will get v aggressive as he gets bigger. he's 3 inches now & has just started to bully our corys & after reading heaps we know he has to go back to lfs. i read another post somewhere that suggested putting lettuce in your net & dangling it & waiting waiting waiting till he goes for it. i think thats what we'll have to try 1st.

millym said:
hi
i have exactly the same problem. just realised our 'peaceful community fish' is a cae that will get v aggressive as he gets bigger. he's 3 inches now & has just started to bully our corys & after reading heaps we know he has to go back to lfs. i read another post somewhere that suggested putting lettuce in your net & dangling it & waiting waiting waiting till he goes for it. i think thats what we'll have to try 1st.

lemme know how it goes.....if your a-e is anything like mine he'll eat the lettuce and haul ass back behind a rock before you even finish blinking...

I think the 2L bottle trap is a good idea.....i'll give it a shot sometime soon and report back here..

I would definately say use the two net method.. others are a pain. But if I were you... I would do as the other shave said and just make it mega cleaning day.. you'll kill two birds with one stone, and at the end you'll feel super about it, plus you're fish will wuv you to death :lol:

I just removed one the little buggers. My method was simple. I put a ceramic cave with a bottom in the tank. After a couple of days he naturally claimed it as his territory. I reached in and lifted the cave out with him inside it.

Back
Top Bottom