Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2005, 10:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Golden Barbs (36 gallon)

I purchased 3 golden barbs for my 36 gallon community tank last night. I have been trying to read as much information about them as I can, but the information seems to be conflicting. I've read that their maximum size isa nywhere from 1 and a half to 4 inches (depending on the site). Also, I've read they need to be in groups of 6 or more, and also that they do fine without a school. Does anyone keep this fish? Do you know the real answer to those two questions? I've read that they are peaceful fish too, but I've also read that barbs can be agressive. They're much smaller than my other fish right now, ( 2 mollies, 4 tetras, and one cory catfish (soon to be a couple more becuase I know those are schooling fish as well but for some reason I've had a hard time finding some that look healthy to buy)), so there aren't any problems yet. Any help or advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-29-2005, 07:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Anyone?

Old 08-29-2005, 07:45 PM   #3

most schooling fish do well in groups of 6 or more.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I believe that most of the time when barbs are aggressive, it is because they are not kept in a large enough school. I mean, people say tiger barbs are so nippy and aggressive, but I keep a school of 9 and they don't even pay attention to any other fish but themselves. I would add 3 more if you are concerned about aggression. I can't help you on the max size though. I would guess somewhere around 2-3 inches.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree, get a few more. I believe they stay under 2". Good luck with your new fish.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you!
Old 08-31-2005, 04:22 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
barbs are known for there fin nipping.. I would keep an eye on them..
Ive heard/read the rosy barbs are the least likely to nip but Im not aware of the temperament of the goldens..
the golden barb is a color morph of the common tiger barb, green is also the same fish just a color morph..
scientific name Puntius tetrazona
according to fishbase.org they get 7cm long and that would be without the length of the tailfin.. that would be about 3 inches with the tailfin.. HTH
fishbase.org profile
btw. fishbase.org is the best resource for accurate information on fish.. its the only website I trust to be accurate actually.. although its tough to navigate..
Old 08-31-2005, 07:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I thought they were referring to the gold barb Puntius gelius.
http://fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=4762
The pic in that link stinks. I've never seen the barb you are talking about listed as a golden barb. The ones in my area look more like this. http://www.care4fish.com/goldenbarb.html

You'll need to copy the link into your browser. I don't know why it doesn't work.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
when I looked up Puntius tetrazona golden and green were listed as color morphs.. how strange..
I have not seen the Puntius gelius you posted.. and I couldnt find a picture of the golden color morph of the Puntius tetrazona on fishbase.org..
I couldnt get the care4fish link to work even with copy and paste..
ack! now my link doesnt work for me! whats up with fishbase?
this is getting complicated.. so Puntius gelius is about 2inches and the Puntius tetrazona is about 3inches..
Old 08-31-2005, 04:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/galle...id/sachsi.html

This is the fish I have. It says it's a Barbus sachsi

Here is another example http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_sachsi.php although the fish I have aren't as much spotted, they seem to have a dark band of spots running the long way from nose to tail, not all over like these.

Tags
36 gallon, 6 gallon, barb, barbs, golden

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com