GOLDEN NUGGETT PLECO what do they need ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TASHANCRAIG

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a golden nugget pleco who until recently hid away and i never saw him after paying quite a bit of money for him.
he now comes out alot when i drop algae tablets for plecos into my tank and every now and then he gives the glass a clean and my rock caves.
do they need anything else to eat???? he also somtimes hoovers up some flakes and other food.
just bit worried coz he looks bit skinny compared to other plecos i have had thatb used to always nick food pellets off my fish.
any help or advive for my stunning little pleco would be great ??:p:p

Not sure about this one, but many plecos need some wood in the tank to do well. They gnaw away at it and it is believed it may aid in digestion, as well as providing food in the form of animal and vegetable growth on the wood.

x2 on the driftwood. I have Malaysian driftwood in my tank and my albino longfin pleco is always going at it.

Meaty sinking foods after lights out will fatten it up. ;)

I hvae got this thing called a screwcumumber it on ebay. Also i blanch them in water in the microwave. So you just put them into the water and ut them in the microwave and let it go for about 5 Mins

I hvae got this thing called a screwcumumber it on ebay. Also i blanch them in water in the microwave. So you just put them into the water and ut them in the microwave and let it go for about 5 Mins

microwave the peas and cucumber ???? thanks for info ill go buy 1 now

They will eat more meaty foods than many other plecos. I feed mine New Life Spectrum Thera+A exclusively. The extra garlic can help fight parasites (a possibility with wild caught fish like most gold nuggets).

They LOVE high flow. Strong filtration and pumps will make them happy.

Definitely driftwood. This will usually be their preferred hiding spot. As stated it almost seems to be a nutritional essential for long term success.

They also need high water quality, like any other fish.

They will eat more meaty foods than many other plecos. I feed mine New Life Spectrum Thera+A exclusively. The extra garlic can help fight parasites (a possibility with wild caught fish like most gold nuggets).

They LOVE high flow. Strong filtration and pumps will make them happy.

Definitely driftwood. This will usually be their preferred hiding spot. As stated it almost seems to be a nutritional essential for long term success.

They also need high water quality, like any other fish.

yeh i have a strongpower head filter and pump and it loves hiding in my cave stuck to the wall it comes out alot now in the day too and lights on sucking the glass and collecting a tetra algae tab. just want to give it more stuff that it will like.
so should i get a little driftwood ??? as mine like hiding in the cave it also sucks up loose food when i feed my fish.

I definitely recommend at least one piece of driftwood in every tank with any type of pleco in it. The good thing is that they are a beautiful, natural decor that can really make the look of a tank.

Back
Top Bottom