Golden wonder killifish...what can I add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SherryD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,
So got 3 golden wonder killifish but what can I add with them? I already have 7 Rosy barbs, 1 dwarf gourami, and 3 spotted cory cats.

So info on the tank...55gal, fully cycled, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 10.

Thought of adding 1 ram, school of black neons (6), and another school of some larger tetra or giant danios.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

IMO, corys do better in larger groups of 4-6. You have space, so I recommend getting at least one more. In addition, you owuld be fine to also add a ram and 6 black neons. I will not comment on the gaint danios because I don't know anything about them, so I would just be guessing. :)

Thanks! Good idea about Cory, and really want a ram. Thought about the danios because they are too big for the killis to eat!

Any thought about larger tetras?

Thanks! Good idea about Cory, and really want a ram. Thought about the danios because they are too big for the killis to eat!

Any thought about larger tetras?
Any of the tetras that reach about 2 inches are not known for being aggessive should be fine.
I do know the golden wonders eat small fish, but I have heard most things bigger than a neon are safe.
I would suggest rummy-nose tetras or the black neons because of the colors and size. Danios should be ok too. :) But, I have not owned the gwk, so I am going on what I know about them and my experience with the others. :)

Tried my killis with black neon tetras, seemed to be doing fine till I found one black neon with no tail! So I moved my killis in with my tiger barbs...seems to be working better. Thanks for the help

Cool. I have heard the golden wonders can be a bit aggressive sometimes, so I bet they can hold their own against the tiger barbs and vice verse. That sounds to me like a good mix. Keep up up-dated!

Hi all,
So got 3 golden wonder killifish but what can I add with them? I already have 7 Rosy barbs, 1 dwarf gourami, and 3 spotted cory cats.

So info on the tank...55gal, fully cycled, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 10.

Thought of adding 1 ram, school of black neons (6), and another school of some larger tetra or giant danios.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
I would keep a close eye on the dwarf gourami with those GW's. I don't keep GW's, but I do keep and breed about six other types of killies and I've found for some of them, if keeping them in a community setting, it's best to just stick with short finned fast moving schoolers. I would be careful feeding the cories. My first pair of Gardneri killies died after inahling whole sinking pellets I had added for the cories. Their mouths are very wide so be cautious for this type of behavior. I do not think a ram is a good tankmate for GW's, and I'm not sure the black neons are large enough and fast enough for them.

I'm not a huge fan of the giant danios, personally, and would recommend purple passion danios instead. :D

I would keep a close eye on the dwarf gourami with those GW's. I don't keep GW's, but I do keep and breed about six other types of killies and I've found for some of them, if keeping them in a community setting, it's best to just stick with short finned fast moving schoolers. I would be careful feeding the cories. My first pair of Gardneri killies died after inahling whole sinking pellets I had added for the cories. Their mouths are very wide so be cautious for this type of behavior. I do not think a ram is a good tankmate for GW's, and I'm not sure the black neons are large enough and fast enough for them.

I'm not a huge fan of the giant danios, personally, and would recommend purple passion danios instead. :D
Did you see the later post where Sherry said she moved the GW in with her tiger barbs? Does that sound ok to you? You have more experience with killis than me. :)

Did you see the later post where Sherry said she moved the GW in with her tiger barbs? Does that sound ok to you? You have more experience with killis than me. :)
Woops, I missed that. Yeah that sounds like a good pairing. :)

Back
Top Bottom