Goldfish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ezimmer1990

Aquarium Advice Activist
My goldfish just sit at the bottom of the tank and don't move. I tap on the glass to make sure they aren't dead and they start swimming again. Is there something wrong with them or is there another explanation?

Ezimmer1990 said:
My goldfish just sit at the bottom of the tank and don't move. I tap on the glass to make sure they aren't dead and they start swimming again. Is there something wrong with them or is there another explanation?

We need to know some more info to be able to help you.
What size thank?
How many fish/what kinds/ size?
Is the tank cycled?
How long has it had fish in it?
What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH?
When was the last PWC done and how much?
How often is the water changes and what %?
Are the fish showing any physical signs of disease or stress?

My neighbor had this exact problem. I did some research and found that it was most likely ammonia, nitrates..etc... (dirty water in general)
I also saw that it could be constipation. Thats right. (Goldfish don't have stomachs)

So i fed them pieces of lettuce after a 50% water change.
Fed them lettuce again the next day (no regular food)
They ended up being fine. Needless to say i educated my neighbor in the importance of water changes, especially with goldfish.
Try it! Hope it helps

Please answer all of Mumma's questions- we really need more information in order to be able to help you!!

Mumma.of.two said:
We need to know some more info to be able to help you.
What size thank?
How many fish/what kinds/ size?
Is the tank cycled?
How long has it had fish in it?
What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH?
When was the last PWC done and how much?
How often is the water changes and what %?
Are the fish showing any physical signs of disease or stress?

30gal
6 all goldfish
Yes it is cycled
Since may
Haven't checked
Every two weeks 50%
nope

Smcoyle87 said:
My neighbor had this exact problem. I did some research and found that it was most likely ammonia, nitrates..etc... (dirty water in general)
I also saw that it could be constipation. Thats right. (Goldfish don't have stomachs)

So i fed them pieces of lettuce after a 50% water change.
Fed them lettuce again the next day (no regular food)
They ended up being fine. Needless to say i educated my neighbor in the importance of water changes, especially with goldfish.
Try it! Hope it helps

Maybe I'll try it. Does it matter what kind of lettuce

You need to test your nitrate. Although that is a good size water change, you may need to do them weekly. I assume they are not full grown, but the most you should have in a 30 is two, not six. They need a larger home as soon as possible.

Ezimmer1990 said:
30gal
6 all goldfish
Yes it is cycled
Since may
Haven't checked
Every two weeks 50%
nope

Ok. You need to check your params. It's sounds like they are not liking their water conditions. Your tank is over stocked by 4 fish. 20g for the first fish and 10g for every fish after that. Gold fish are very messy fish and 50% every two weeks wouldn't be cutting it. They would be needing 50% every 1-2 days. I would do a large 75% PWC now to see how they react. I think you'll find they will liven up after a few PWC.

No, peas are better but i used lettuce.
I agree with mumma tho, 6 goldfish in a 30g is overstocked. Especially when they get massive lol.
All i know is that my neighbor's fish were sitting at the bottom all the time and acting weird. That sounds like what you said. Is there any other symptoms though? Anything?

I agree with Mumma. 6 goldfish is 4 too many in a 30gal. It would really help if we knew your levels of amm/nitrite/nitrate. Your fish are reacting to their poor water conditions and sound very stressed. Please follow the recommendations for big pwcs on very regular basis (every day or 2) until you can either rehome some fish or invest a much larger tank.

Ezimmer1990,

what are the sizes (in inches or centimeters) of your 6 goldfish?

Please test your tank water and post the test result numbers for:
Ammonia,
Nitrite,
Nitrate, and
pH.

And is your test kit liquid or test strips?

Back
Top Bottom