Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrick_Fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, could I put 3 or 4 goldfish in a 25 gallon tank? I know it says that it needs to be 29. Thank you to anyone that helps me in this!

Patrick_Fish said:
Hello, could I put 3 or 4 goldfish in a 25 gallon tank? I know it says that it needs to be 29. Thank you to anyone that helps me in this!

Not that many. 1 (maybe 2 fancies if they are young) as long as you have heavy filtration.

+1 mumma
The "general" rule of thumb is 20gal for the first fancy and 10gal for every additional fancy. If your talking about a common, comet, hibuna or any other singletail goldie it won't work. They can reach well over 12" at adulthood in the right environment.

I tend to be just slightly more cautious than most when dealing with goldfish. I would consider 30 gallons to be minimum for even one fancy. Though not as large as common, comet, or shubunkin, they can still reach up to 8 inches long and live decades. It is actually a personal belief of mine that goldfish are pond fish, not aquarium fish, but I recognize few people agree.
Still, I would say that a juvenile fish should always be housed in an adult size appropriate tank. Because fish growth is so unpredictable, it's very difficult to objectively determine when a fish will need a larger tank. Slow growth can (not always, but often) be indicative of stunting. If you must keep a young fish in a smaller tank, be religious about water changes and upgrade before you think you need to.
Still, I would strongly advise against a 25 gallon tank for even one.

I agree.
My fancies that "winter" indoors are in my basement. I have 8 of them and 3- 55gal aquariums. The 2 biggest bl. moors have a tank to themselves and the other 2 tanks have 3 fish each in them. I do 50% pwc's every week. I'm just glad its only temporary at 5 months a year.
I believe that anyone thats serious about their goldfish have to be some of the most dedicated in the hobby. They're definitely high maintenance..

I agree.
My fancies that "winter" indoors are in my basement. I have 8 of them and 3- 55gal aquariums. The 2 biggest bl. moors have a tank to themselves and the other 2 tanks have 3 fish each in them. I do 50% pwc's every week. I'm just glad its only temporary at 5 months a year.
I believe that anyone thats serious about their goldfish have to be some of the most dedicated in the hobby. They're definitely high maintenance..

Could I put Cichlids in a 25 gallon tank?

I tend to be just slightly more cautious than most when dealing with goldfish. I would consider 30 gallons to be minimum for even one fancy. Though not as large as common, comet, or shubunkin, they can still reach up to 8 inches long and live decades. It is actually a personal belief of mine that goldfish are pond fish, not aquarium fish, but I recognize few people agree.
Still, I would say that a juvenile fish should always be housed in an adult size appropriate tank. Because fish growth is so unpredictable, it's very difficult to objectively determine when a fish will need a larger tank. Slow growth can (not always, but often) be indicative of stunting. If you must keep a young fish in a smaller tank, be religious about water changes and upgrade before you think you need to.
Still, I would strongly advise against a 25 gallon tank for even one.

Could I put cichlids in a 25 gallon tank?

Absolutely, any of the dwarf cichlids would work in a 25gal.
You could have a pair of rams, a trio of apistogrammas or a pair of kribs... plenty of options.

Back
Top Bottom