Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kittykat15

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon tank with 3 goldfish and 2 bottom feeders.
I've had the tank for about 7 years. All has been well everyone is healthy and NO fighting or picking on..... Until recently the biggest goldfish.... About 8 inches long has been eating the tail of the fancy gold fish that has been living with him/her since the beginning. The fancy goldfish is about 4 inches long not including tail. Which is now gone. I feed them regular so I don't think he/she is hungry! How do I get him to leave the fancy goldfish alone? Will his tail grow back or is he a goner?! Also can I sell the big goldfish to a pet store?!

Thank You
Karen Walsh

Tails will grow back. You can use some melafix to promote healing. You can sell goldfish to the pet store but don't expect to get much for them!

Wish I knew.. I'm not too familiar with freshwater. Someone more knowledgeable will chime in. :) Sorry!

Goldfish can get tricky once that type of aggression starts. The problem is fancies need to be kept with other fancies. You might have a male/female issue happened as males can get pretty rough and with the little one being a fancy and now with no tail she can't get away from the bigger faster goldfish. One thing for sure is you need to get some type of divider up in the tank so the little one can heal in piece and without any added stress. Personally I would rehome the larger goldfish and get a more appropate fancy tankmate once the other one heals. Melafix if really good for fin and tail repair just be sure to remove your tanks carbon first. In tropical fish I'd tell you to remove the larger aggressor and rearrange the tank then readd the fish but with goldies I've found this just doesn't work. Just get the little one protected as quickly as possible then go from there.

+1
I have to agree with Rivercats advice. Unfortunately, separation of the two fish is really your only option or your little guy will be unduly harassed and will not be able to heal.

I don't agree with the use of melafix though- depending on the severity of her damage, lots of healthy water and increasing the salinity may be better options. A pic would help though to see what's happened.

I always thought he was just too big!!
Will look into another tank for him or another owner...
Thank you everyone for your help it was most helpful!! :)

Back
Top Bottom