goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquazen

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm keeping a goldfish for a friend of mine in my heavily planted tropical tank. The temp is kept around 72, so it's not too hot for the little guy. He will take the goldfish back once he's sure that it is large enough and won't be harrased or be eaten by his larger fish.

The little guy is totally trashing my planted tank though, right after I had just re-scaped it. So my question is...if I move him into my fry tank, which is not as heavily scaped (therefore wouldn't care if he tore up anything), will he eat the guppy fry? Will he just continue nibbling on the java moss, ferns, and hornwort and leave the fry alone?

goldfish are pigs. I wouldn't be the least surprised if he ate the guppy fry. Hard to say without seeing how large the fish is.

Any fish will eat a fish (Or in this case fry) as long as it can fit it into his mouth. Perhaps you could use a divider in your fry tank to keep the goldfish away from the fry for the short time you'll be keeping him.

I watched my goldfish suck up every single neon tetra I put in that tank (this was before I knew better). He will almost definatly eat your fry

Yeah he will eat them. I remember a looong time ago when my mom set up a 10 gallon tank for me. We had a couple guppies in there and a goldfish. The goldfish ate all the guppy fry everytime.

That was a long time ago...remember dumping all the water and cleaning the gravel off with hot water and filling with new water. Definetly not the way to do it.

Anyways the goldfish will eat them.

I suppose that's a resounding YES. Alright, I guess I'll go invest in a divider. And I thought I was done buying fish hardware. :?

Back
Top Bottom