Goldfish - A PSA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crepe

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is probably going to hit close to home for some of you guys..but it has to be done. Goldfish like any other fish should be cared for. Regardless of the number that senselessly die at the hands of live food feeders and carnivals, goldfish are fish. Its folly to suggest that goldfish somehow are okay to abuse because for that one Oscar we could have bought 40 feeders at petsmart. But think about it...do you really think this:
dsc02077g.jpg

Is going to fit in this??:
dsc02076ai.jpg

(this is a glass 1gallon "goldfish jar")
This is an ordinary petsmart goldfish I got a few years ago. I have a total of 7 of them and they are all about this size. My two koi are ~16"-2' long.

Think about it.

i agree with you,just because some people use them as feeders doesnt mean we should abuse them.

I agree - i love my 2 goldfish and minnow (silver fish) that we rescued from a fairground. They ve each got their own personality, and look amazing and colourful :D

Great PSA Crepe! Sometimes as they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words"! Too bad that can't be copied and posted at all lfs that sell goldfish. Goldfish are my absolute favorite fish as well. And by the way, I think that goldfish bowls and esp those little decorative betta containers ought to be outlawed. It always amazes me these chain stores that proclaim to be supportive of animals or love animals, etc actually DO sell such things! Its wrong.

I looked it up and found that they are banned in Rome and "A similar situation exists in Germany. However, the laws that apply there are nationwide, rather than regional or local, with goldfish bowls and miniature tanks being banned throughout the country. In Britain, its trade association has influenced proceedings by making its own recommendations of a minimum tank size of 4 litres for experienced aquarists and 10 litres for beginners. In Norway, the minimum aquarium size recommended for beginners is no less than 60 litres." Rome and the goldfish [Archive] - The First & The Best Arowana Book, Arowana Painting and Video from Indonesia
You might want to read the rest, it's interesting.

awwww... I love your goldfish... I have seven of my own. bought them a month ago...they used to be so small... but now they have grown to double the size of a full grown Molly... they're super cute... I hope all of mine could reach the length of your or even bigger...;)))

Great Post Crepe!

Our Black Moors are a big part of our family and we love their unique personalities, their so entertaining to watch and interact with.

The thing I hate worst is place like Petco, where an employee will tell a noob that a 10g tank is just fine for 3 goldfish because that's what the picture on the box shows :banghead:. Goldfish are the #1 selling fish in the world, but I wonder what the survival rate is once it's sold? Can it even be estimated?

Great Post Crepe!

Our Black Moors are a big part of our family and we love their unique personalities, their so entertaining to watch and interact with.

The thing I hate worst is place like Petco, where an employee will tell a noob that a 10g tank is just fine for 3 goldfish because that's what the picture on the box shows :banghead:. Goldfish are the #1 selling fish in the world, but I wonder what the survival rate is once it's sold? Can it even be estimated?
aproximately 0.000001%

Back
Top Bottom