Goldfish: algae eater help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danielparra1911

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everybody, I have a 5 gallon fluval spec with a goldfish (yes I know it's small, he'll be upgraded when he gets bigger. We also have an Anubias plant. We do water changes every week. But the green algae is everywhere. Any good algae eaters besides snails. Would 2-3 ottocinclus be fine. Temperature wise it's always 70 degrees and higher. Thanks.

- Daniel

Hey everybody, I have a 5 gallon fluval spec with a goldfish (yes I know it's small, he'll be upgraded when he gets bigger. We also have an Anubias plant. We do water changes every week. But the green algae is everywhere. Any good algae eaters besides snails. Would 2-3 ottocinclus be fine. Temperature wise it's always 70 degrees and higher. Thanks.

- Daniel

Ottos wouldn't eat green algae! In fact, not many algae eaters would eat it. It's better for you to fix the root of problem. Most of the time, green algae is caused by too much light. Having only an anubias, you don't need the lights on for long at all. 3-4 hours a day will do it just fine. Try that and let us know.

Ottos wouldn't eat green algae! In fact, not many algae eaters would eat it. It's better for you to fix the root of problem. Most of the time, green algae is caused by too much light. Having only an anubias, you don't need the lights on for long at all. 3-4 hours a day will do it just fine. Try that and let us know.

Ok thanks for the help... Anyway to get rid of some of the algae living in the tank. There is also some beard algae I believe. So an Otto wouldn't help at all?

Last edited:
Adding anything (inhabitants/chemicals) would cause more harm than good. Simply decrease the amount/duration of light and increase water changes. The presence of that type of algae is often an indicator of excessive inorganic pollutants. Yes, that tank is too small for a goldfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom