Goldfish and broken filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freyar

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a goldfish in four gallons which i planted a few days ago :) but now my filter's broken, do you think if I change the water every week like 50 percent will the fish be ok without it?

from what I have heard, the goldfish likely wouldnt be ok even with a working filter.

they are pretty dirty fish so to speak and need a fairly large tank, I think I saw someone on here say like 20 gallons for one, or something similar

maybe someone who knows more exact will chime in soon for ya tho

Dee

You need a filter for goldfish. I mean, maybe it would be okay for a very short time while you buy a new filter. You should e doing 50% water changes with a filter anyway.
They're super super messy and should not even be kept In 4 gallons. 29 gal minimum for one. The watery can become toxic very soon in such a small tank. I'd get a new filter for now, and look into upgrading tanks.

+1
4 gallons is too small for any goldfish. He will need a home upgrade (how big depends on the type of goldfish) as soon as possible. Water changes daily as Mumma suggested is best thing you can do for now until you can remedy your situation.

Back
Top Bottom