Goldfish and pool sand question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Limpet

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Moors and fancy are forever scavenging the gravel substrate I have now and I want to swap it out for pool sand. Will the sand hurt them, or does it not make a difference for them?

Sent from my Epic 4G

I'd like to hear a response to this also because I'm in the same situation.

Just make sure the sand is rounded. You can use a small (lupe? loop?) those magnifying lens that jewelers or coin collectors use. If the sand is sharp then don't use it. Silica based sand is usually safe. I get mine from a wholesale joint where it's super cheap. They sell it as sandblasting sand and for filters. I just scope it out before I buy it. My corys wouldn't like their gills ripped up by sharp sand. It can also tear off their whiskers.

Gotcha, thanks.

My biggest concern is them swallowing it, passing it thru their system. My big Moors likes to pick up rocks and redecorate for me :D.

Sent from my Epic 4G

I use Estes' Ultra Reef with my goldfish (and everything else) and have never had any issues. I don't trust or use cheapo sands (PFS, play sand, etc.).

I used pool filter sand. I have several 12", 7 year old goldfish. Says something doesn't it.

OMG, I had the same question, really. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/pros-and-cons-of-sand-substrate-144432.html

I'm goin' with pool filter sand as of tomorrow, I think. :) Can I ask what type of fancies you have? I have two Orandas and a Black Moor. LOVE them! But I was a total dork, and started them out with gravel-type substrate. One of my Orandas nearly choked on the gravel (his new nickname is Dyson) - which helped me to GET A CLUE. ;-)

Nope. It's an issue with things like bearded dragons and leopard geckos but not goldies. They make big poop....any sand they swallow is easily passed. And I'm talking big. The stuff looks like rat droppings big.

And you have to wonder: How could sand be dangerous when people trust it with their expensive gobies and blenies which literally LIVE in the sand and HAVE to sift through it to survive.

...They make big poop....any sand they swallow is easily passed. And I'm talking big. The stuff looks like rat droppings big.

HA ha ha ha! Good to know. :D Thanks for piping in. I learn something every time I pop on here...

jinkel said:
OMG, I had the same question, really. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/pros-and-cons-of-sand-substrate-144432.html

I'm goin' with pool filter sand as of tomorrow, I think. :) Can I ask what type of fancies you have? I have two Orandas and a Black Moor. LOVE them! But I was a total dork, and started them out with gravel-type substrate. One of my Orandas nearly choked on the gravel (his new nickname is Dyson) - which helped me to GET A CLUE. ;-)

I have 1 fancy fantail, about 6 months old, my Moors are about 4 years old. I don't mine the gravel (petco special) but I'd like to swap out so my plants have a better planting bed.

Please let me know what you think of the pool sand.

Sent from my Epic 4G

Back
Top Bottom