Goldfish and tropical,. Can they co-habit in the same tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tlan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, as the title says. I got a just stablished tank with two goldfish. They have been really strong and survived the whole cycle process. But now it's time to get more fish, but I dont want to get rid the golds. So my question is: Can I put golds and tropicals in the same tank? will the golds be affected for the high temperature water? What's the highest temperature for the golds to be happy?... THanks.

Welcome to AA! I would not recommend it. I know there are some that keep fancy goldies in tropical tanks. I don't necessarily agree with this practice. Also goldfish are messy and require at least 10 gals per fish. What size tank do you have?

The following quote was suggested to me when I asked the same question in a different thread.
Seems to be pretty solid advice to me.

DepotFish said:
Goldfish, fantails included, should have 10 gallons per fish and should NOT be housed with other species. Any type of sucker fish, oto included cannot be housed with golds. They might appear to get along but I've seen otos and other sucker fish stucker to the inside of the goldfish gills. They basically eat the goldfish from the inside out. Tropical fish should not be housed with goldfish. Goldfish do best at 70 degrees or below as there is more oxygen in the water to help with breathing in messy conditions. Goldfish should also ideally be housed in 7.8-8.0 ph, which means any tiny level ammonia is toxic. This ph doesn't agree with angelfish and although you don't see any visable signs now, the fish will definately be suffering.

I agree with the above. A tank mate I have seen recommended is the white cloud minnow since they too do well in cool waters.

Its not even recommended to keep pond goldfish varieties with fancy goldfish. The pond types will outcompete fish with eye deformities (moors, bubble-eye) in the food area and other fancy goldfish usually need different types of food to keep them from having swim bladder diseases. Goldfish are hard to house with other goldfish half the time.
One of the few tropical fish that can handle the conditions of goldfish is the platy. They will eat the slime coat of slower, fancy goldfish though so they are mostly out of the question. I do have one with my goldfish, however, comets are often too fast paced for a platy to bother with.

Zagz said:
Also goldfish are messy and require at least 10 gals per fish. What size tank do you have?
Wow!! I read that you could have one-inch-fish/gallon. My tank is only ten gallons. So I think, I'm going to have to forget about getting anymore fish. I'm hooked with this stuff, I'm going to get a bigger tank and make that tropical.
Thanks to everybody for your responses.

There's no law that prohibits you from buying a second tank. That's what I did when I found out that I pretty much couldn't put anything with the African Cichlid when it was given to me.

I must warn you though. Buying fish tanks can be addicting.

If you do get another tank I would recommend trying a fishless cycle this time- especially since you already have an established tank... this way you won't be stuck with only two fish or fish that you don't want. Its not so bad... really (ask me again if I still don't have fish two weeks from now 8O )!

Back
Top Bottom