Goldfish as a gift...in an uncycled tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midgiepooh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is my first post! Hi everyone, I sure could use some heavy-duty advice here!

The problem is, my daughter received a baby goldfish for her birthday yesterday in a 1.5 gallon, uncycled tank. The buyer didn't know any better, and neither did I until I started researching the net on fishkeeping.

I knew right off the bat that 1.5 gallons was too small. It just didn't "feel" big enough. The pet shop fellow got her the smallest fish possible, though, as if that makes it any better.

As you can imagine, the internet has terrified me about all the issues with cycling, and the danger imposed on the fish. I don't want to hurt the poor guy!

So today I bought a 20 gallon tank and started it up this morning right next to his tiny tank. I've followed the rules, dechlorinated the water, got a filter, an air stone, etc. But the same problem exists that I have a fish and no cycled tank!

I also have test strips for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. The water in the small tank (where the fish still resides) had a bit of ammonia so I did a water change. Roughly 30%, I suppose.

But what am I supposed to do in the meantime? It seems cruel to leave him in a 1.5 gallon tank for weeks on end until the bigger tank is fully cycled. But on the other hand, I don't want to switch him over until somebody tells me that's its just as safe (or dangerous) as having him in the tank he is in now!

Which is the lesser of the two evils? What am I supposed to do?

Haha and the hobby begins! Lol

First off, id get a liquid test kit. Most members reccommend and use the API master test kit. strips are inaccurate

Id move the goldfish to the new tank. You'll just have to do a fish in cycle, there's nothing wrong with it. Test parameters daily and do water changes as needed. You'd have to do the same on the 1.5 tank anyway.

Don't be afraid to ask questions!

Good luck, it seems you are on the right track

Get him into the 20 gallon ASAP. Twenty gallons of uncycled tank is far and away better than 1.5 gallons of uncycled bowl.
You will become intimately familiar with water changes in the next few weeks.
Have you read up on "cycling" and all that is required?

Oh wow! Thanks for responding so quickly! My mind's in a whirl worrying about this poor guy! I really want to move him, if for no other reason but to give him more room!

I just wanted to make sure that doing so wouldn't put him in any more danger than he is now! Poor little guy!

I think I'm pretty well read on the cycling process now, but its been only a day! I'm sure I still have a lot to learn!

Should I switch him over tonight or wait until morning? The big tank has been going for about 12 hours now...

midgiepooh said:
I think I'm pretty well read on the cycling process now, but its been only a day! I'm sure I still have a lot to learn!

Should I switch him over tonight or wait until morning? The big tank has been going for about 12 hours now...

If everything is setup and going then id move him tonight. Don't forget to acclimate properly! Float the fish in a bag in the tank and add a cup of tank water every 8-10 mins. Goldfish are very hardy

I don't get why people buy animals as gifts - sigh.

good for you for doing your research!

I agree with moving as soon as possible, any waste is going to be much more concentrated in the smaller bowl for sure.

George9 said:
If everything is setup and going then id move him tonight. Don't forget to acclimate properly! Float the fish in a bag in the tank and add a cup of tank water every 8-10 mins. Goldfish are very hardy

+1
Yes, yes. Now would be best.
There's an easier way. So long as the temperature of the 20 is close to the temp of the 1.5 then just remove half of the water from the 1.5 and add a cup of water from the 20 every ten minutes until the 1.5 is full again. Top off the 20 and repeat one more time. Then top off the 20 again and net the fish and release into the 20. Be sure to treat your tap water before you top off the 20.

A fish in cycle can seem daunting but if you stay up on your water parameters & do the necessary water changes you & your fish will be fine. Definitely get the liquid water test as previously suggested. I'm at the tail end of cycling 2 tanks simultaneously, both fish in & I've had no loss of life so it can be done successfully. Don't be afraid to do bigger water changes such as 50% depending on your water test, there may be times when you have to do them daily& it'll take some time to complete the cycle so be patient.

Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone! I am happy to report the little guy is now in the big tank, swimming around to all four corners, "stretching his legs," so to speak.

He seems to be one happy guy!

A few follow-up questions:

(1) I didn't top off the 20 gallon tank until I got an answer to this - the replacement water has been sitting and is ready to go - but when I treat it, do I use the same dose for 20 gallons or do I have to divide it into the measurement of 1.5 gallons, the amount of water I am adding? I have already treated the water that's in the tank now, obviously. I didn't know if adding the normal amount would be "overdose?" haha!

(2) Maybe I am just being a worried Mama, but should I keep my animated ornament running while this little guy is getting accustomed to his surroundings? Its a skeleton chugging some rum...a constant stream of bubbles. (When I bought it, I thought the bubbles would come at intervals!) I don't think the water itself is too agitated, but in addition to the air stone...I don't know...it seems like in that one area, it might be a little scary for a fish! haha!

(3) I took note of the inaccuracy of test strips! I actually knew that going in to the pet shop yesterday, but they either were out of test kits, or didn't carry them all together. I figured (maybe this was a newbie mistake?) that the strips were better than nothing at all! I thought they could tide me over until I got something better.

Unfortunately, I live out in the middle of nowhere and have to make a day trip to a bigger city to get "the good stuff." Now I have a trip already planned (by sheer coincidence) in three days. Is that too long to wait? Should I go earlier or can I get by with using the strips for the remaining 3 days?

(4) Fish behavior! I've noticed this little guy keeps swimming up and down, up and down, almost like in varying figure-8's. Is he just happy to have the room to do so? Checking out his new digs? Oddly enough, going back to my second question, he's doing it around the skeleton ornament. It doesn't appear that he's being jostled around by the bubbles - it looks like....he likes it? He seems so happy! I just don't want to mistake his "happiness" for stress!!!

What a worrying Mama I am! Thanks again everyone for at least understanding! I love to keep animals but haven't had a fish since I was a kid (and obviously I didn't do the 'caring' part back then). I just want everybody living here to be happy and comfortable - and I am trying to learn FAST so little fishy doesn't suffer because of Mom's ignorance!

A fish in cycle can seem daunting but if you stay up on your water parameters & do the necessary water changes you & your fish will be fine.

You have no idea how much better that made me feel! Virtually everything on the net has said, "A fish bought the same day as their tank will almost certainly DIE!!!" Ugh! What a way to freak a girl out!

Its nice to hear "you'll be fine!" I know its not a guarantee but at least its not a death sentence!

I don't get why people buy animals as gifts - sigh.

good for you for doing your research!

Thank you! I don't know why people do this kind of thing, either.

But at least I care that the fish is properly cared for. I care that I do it "right." If anyone's going to receive an animal for a gift, it should be me! haha!

I still have a nagging feeling that I don't know what's going on, that I'm clueless! I need all the help I can get! I couldn't be more grateful that this site and all you wonderful people exist!!!

OH, one more question before I finally shut up this morning! HA!

Are there any tips to help a tank cycle more efficiently? I hesitate to use the word, "faster" because I know it will take time and patience. I don't expect it to happen in a few days, or 2 weeks, or anything like that.

We're planning on taking a 3-day trip in September - roughly 6 or 7 weeks away. That's cutting it close, eh?

Should I plan on showing my pet-sitter what to do with the water changes, testing, etc? Or is there anything I can do that can increase my chances of having a cycled tank by then?

I know I am asking this far in advance of the trip, but if there is anything I can do I just want to get started on the right foot!

(1)
Treat the top off water, in a separate container, for the amount you are adding (1.5 gallons).
If you were to add untreated water directly to the tank then you would want to add enough for the entire tank (20 gallons).
It would take a lot to overdose on the stuff. Some folks even have to double dose as the chlorine levels in their tap water is so high.

(2)
Yes, leave it on. Extra aeration will help with your "cycle" and Goldfish need a moderately high level of oxygen.

(3)
You are correct, anything is better than nothing. You can get the test kits online for much cheaper than a brick-n-mortar. Try Amazon.

(4)
He is probably just getting used to the new surroundings. Just keep an eye on him, he should calm down shortly.

You are doing well. Keep testing the water and, since you are currently using strips, do a PWC any time you see any ammonia or nitrite.

Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone! I am happy to report the little guy is now in the big tank, swimming around to all four corners, "stretching his legs," so to speak.

He seems to be one happy guy!

A few follow-up questions:

(1) I didn't top off the 20 gallon tank until I got an answer to this - the replacement water has been sitting and is ready to go - but when I treat it, do I use the same dose for 20 gallons or do I have to divide it into the measurement of 1.5 gallons, the amount of water I am adding? I have already treated the water that's in the tank now, obviously. I didn't know if adding the normal amount would be "overdose?" haha! You can do it how ever you want. Some people use 5 gallon buckets and dose for just the 5 gallons before adding to the tank, so others use water changers, a hose that attaches directly to the tap, and will dose the tank for full volume(so 20 gallons) before adding the water. The full dose won't hurt anything.

(2) Maybe I am just being a worried Mama, but should I keep my animated ornament running while this little guy is getting accustomed to his surroundings? Its a skeleton chugging some rum...a constant stream of bubbles. (When I bought it, I thought the bubbles would come at intervals!) I don't think the water itself is too agitated, but in addition to the air stone...I don't know...it seems like in that one area, it might be a little scary for a fish! haha! IT's up to you really I think. With the air stone running you really don't need another bubbler with a filter running too. Personally I'd go with the air stone or bubbler.

(3) I took note of the inaccuracy of test strips! I actually knew that going in to the pet shop yesterday, but they either were out of test kits, or didn't carry them all together. I figured (maybe this was a newbie mistake?) that the strips were better than nothing at all! I thought they could tide me over until I got something better.

Unfortunately, I live out in the middle of nowhere and have to make a day trip to a bigger city to get "the good stuff." Now I have a trip already planned (by sheer coincidence) in three days. Is that too long to wait? Should I go earlier or can I get by with using the strips for the remaining 3 days? I've never used the strips so I can't comments for sure on this. I guess something is better than nothing but I'd probably stick with big water changes daily anyways to be sure. As long as you are doing the water changes you should be fine.

(4) Fish behavior! I've noticed this little guy keeps swimming up and down, up and down, almost like in varying figure-8's. Is he just happy to have the room to do so? Checking out his new digs? Oddly enough, going back to my second question, he's doing it around the skeleton ornament. It doesn't appear that he's being jostled around by the bubbles - it looks like....he likes it? He seems so happy! I just don't want to mistake his "happiness" for stress!!! He's probably enjoying it, a lot of people will talk about fish purposely swimming into the stream of the filter to go against the currents. Usually if a fish is stressed from the current/movement they will move away from it. As long as he has a place that is calm then I wouldn't worry about it.

What a worrying Mama I am! Thanks again everyone for at least understanding! I love to keep animals but haven't had a fish since I was a kid (and obviously I didn't do the 'caring' part back then). I just want everybody living here to be happy and comfortable - and I am trying to learn FAST so little fishy doesn't suffer because of Mom's ignorance!

I've posted above in blue.

I also wanted to post this if you haven't come acrossed it yet, I didn't see it posted skimming through the thread but could have missed it.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

I'd also suggest some research on the type of goldy you have, especially diet. I know when I started with fish I was surprised to learn the stuff they would eat. Like veggies!

midgiepooh said:

Are there any tips to help a tank cycle more efficiently? I hesitate to use the word, "faster" because I know it will take time and patience. I don't expect it to happen in a few days, or 2 weeks, or anything like that.

We're planning on taking a 3-day trip in September - roughly 6 or 7 weeks away. That's cutting it close, eh?

Should I plan on showing my pet-sitter what to do with the water changes, testing, etc? Or is there anything I can do that can increase my chances of having a cycled tank by then?

I know I am asking this far in advance of the trip, but if there is anything I can do I just want to get started on the right foot!

You can ask your LFS for a chunk of their old media to seed your tank. If they give you a chunk you can cram it into your filter or wrap the intake with it or put it in a mesh bag (or an old nylon sock) and place it near the filter intake.
I don't usually like doing this unless it's an emergency, LFSs are not known for the cleanest disease free tanks and you take the risk of bringing some funk into your tank.
You can order an Active Sponge from AngelsPlus.com. These sponge filters run in there tanks for at least six weeks before they sell them.

I think you will be fine for your trip in September.

If you know someone with an established tank you could see if they would give you some seeded material. Anything from the tank that would have beneficial bacteria colonized on/in it. Filter media is the best as it houses the most.

With any luck you will be cycled by then. If you trust the sitter to do it than sure, I'd be very sure she understands the process of it very well and feeding. People can easily over feed a fish if they don't know how to, which will really add to the risk on an ammonia spike. I'm not sure if it applies to goldies because they don't have a real stomach but for 3 days I would normally not bother having someone feed my fish. Hopefully someone can comment for sure on that and if you do need to have them feed the fish I'd pre measure it out for them just to be sure.

Thanks again, everyone!

I think he does like the bubbles! He hung around the skeleton for a while and went on to play near the air stone. He went to hang out in the calm section for a little bit, then back to the bubbles he went!

I'll plan on getting a real test kit when I go to the "big city" in 3 days, then! I don't mind if it costs more in the long run! No big deal!

Also, thanks for the link! I am going to read it right now!

+111111
Everyone is giving you great advice!!! Do you know what type of goldfish you have? Does he have a single or double tail? Any distinguishing features such as protruding eyes? We can try to help you id him (pic would help). Also, since you are making a big trip to the store, see if you can find him some decent sinking goldfish pellets such as Hikari Saki, Hikari Lionhead or New Life Spectrum. Some of the bigger stores carry these brands but not many (i purchase online amazon/ebay). If you have no luck, look for another brand of sinking goldfish pellets. Daily plain cooked veggies will keep him healthy as well.

Getting some cycled media is the fastest means to get your tank cycled quickly as everyone has suggested. If you have no luck, as Blert mentioned, Angelsplus sells active, cycled filters (anglesplus.com). Your going to be just fine and I am glad you are doing your research and taking the time to understand how to take care of your fish!!!! Great job!!! Dont hesitate to ask ANY questions!!! Welcome to AA!!!! :)

Shame on me for not thinking to mention tha earlier! He's a fantail - dark orange with black spots! Nothing fancy, but just a tad fancier than the regular 'ol carnival fish!

I only wish I could have known about this earlier so I could have slowly digested this info over time! Now I'm taking a crash course in Fish 101 in only a few days!

I agree that I am getting great advice here! I trolled the boards for a day before finally registering and joining in on the fun! Its a good thing too because the people around me , friends and family (who are NOT fishkeepers) are telling me things like "a fish won't grow bigger than its tank" and "you don't have to do ANYTHING, just put it in water!"

I even had one person tell me that I was worrying too much about it and "just get another" if this one dies. How insensitive is THAT?!

Even though I am new to this, it pays to be skeptical! HA! A fish won't outgrow their tank? Who are they kidding? I asked them, "So if I put my 3-year-old in a box, she'll never grow a day older?" You should have seen their face!

You'll be glad to know that I am now educating everyone around me as I am educating myself!

Back
Top Bottom