Goldfish dying??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltwaterman

Aquarium Advice Regular
My goldfish has been swimming funny all the time but thought it was just the way he was. The after work I noticed he was laying on the ground still upwards and breathing a little heavy. Hell move around but not a lot. Any help would be appreciated:) is laying eggs?

Attachments

• image-1844589869.jpg
    image-1844589869.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 65
I noticed another fish with your goldfish that looks like a Dalmatian Molly- please try to remember that goldfish are cold water fish and also they are pond fish and not tropical. Your parameters could be off for him. Oh yes- and goldfish can grow to be over a foot and a half, are you prepared to take care of one of the messiest and largest pet fish on the freshwater market?

Need more info to help.

Size of tank?
Tank mates?
Filtration size and type?
Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels?
Maintenance schedule?
Last PWC?

blert said:
Need more info to help.

Size of tank?
Tank mates?
Filtration size and type?
Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels?
Maintenance schedule?
Last PWC?

Size- 25 gallon
Tank mates- two bala sharks, two koi, one rainbow shark, one Cory catfish, and 2 goldfish.
Levels are all good.(0ppm)
Usually 2 times a week sometimes 1
1week ago
I know my tank is over crowded. The Cory catfish is my friends I'm keeping it till his aquarium is cycled, I want to get rid of the gold fish and koi fish because the way To big to begin with. Reason I have them cause some owners didn't want the pond the fish were in anymore and were going to chuck them and I couldn't let them do that so I had to take them.

Saltwaterman said:
Size- 25 gallon
Tank mates- two bala sharks, two koi, one rainbow shark, one Cory catfish, and 2 goldfish.
Levels are all good.(0ppm)
Usually 2 times a week sometimes 1
1week ago
I know my tank is over crowded. The Cory catfish is my friends I'm keeping it till his aquarium is cycled, I want to get rid of the gold fish and koi fish because the way To big to begin with. Reason I have them cause some owners didn't want the pond the fish were in anymore and were going to chuck them and I couldn't let them do that so I had to take them.

Oh and I have two 15-30 gallon tetra filters along with air powered bubbles

You are either going to want to upgrade your tank or rehome your pond fish, they cannot live in 25g, you're lucky your ammonia and nite levels haven't spiked and killed your tank yet, with goldfish and koi you're going to want to at least do a two and a half gallon pwc for your tank at least twice a week... You could always modify a 100g tupperware container for the time being......

ktomminello said:
You are either going to want to upgrade your tank or rehome your pond fish, they cannot live in 25g, you're lucky your ammonia and nite levels haven't spiked and killed your tank yet, with goldfish and koi you're going to want to at least do a two and a half gallon pwc for your tank at least twice a week... You could always modify a 100g tupperware container for the time being......

Yeah look into a container tank for the koi. Tey will appreciate it and it actually doesnt look horrible.. Not glass of course but still healthier than a 25gal

ktomminello said:

Tbh I think I'm doing good on the cleaning part since I have the dirtiest fish around and only one has my ammonia spike to only 11ppm. But yes next paycheck I'm looking into buying a bigger tank for my Halas and hopefully find a better home for these guys. But not till I find out what wrong with this one goldfish do I can fix that right up quick

I really do like this container idea I think I might just do that thanks

No problem, that's actually how i started out with aquariums. My mom decided she wanted a pond with goldfish and koi but didn't know what to do when cooler weather came around. I modified 3 75 gallon plastic bins into a 150g with a 75 gallon reserve which turned into a waterfall after a while to further help filter the water. If you have the time pond fish are a wonderful addition a moderate to large house or apartment

ktomminello said:
No problem, that's actually how i started out with aquariums. My mom decided she wanted a pond with goldfish and koi but didn't know what to do when cooler weather came around. I modified 3 75 gallon plastic bins into a 150g with a 75 gallon reserve which turned into a waterfall after a while to further help filter the water. If you have the time pond fish are a wonderful addition a moderate to large house or apartment

Ya once I get my own house/ apartment I think I'll be getting a pond. Do you have any idea what to do with my sick goldfish or whatever it's doing

I would isolate him in a separate container and maybe see if diffusing air into it helps him perk up a little, honestly he just sounds stressed out because of the over crowding- that could be the only thing wrong with him.

Can I ask what your using to test your water? Unless your changing 100% of the water daily, your going to have nitrates. With this severely of an overstocked tank, I would expect them to be quite high. Bottom sitting in goldfish is primarily attributed to a high nitrate level although an inadequate diet is also a factor as well as possible ammonia/nitrite.

You did a good thing by trying to take the goldfish & koi into your care but I strongly advise you try to find them a suitable home. Do you have any pond stores in your area? Both of mine rehome unwanted koi & goldfish. Two of my lfs do this as well. You can also google local koi & goldfish clubs in your area for help as well as trying the classifieds/Craigslist.

Can I ask what your using to test your water? Unless your changing 100% of the water daily, your going to have nitrates. With this severely of an overstocked tank, I would expect them to be quite high. Bottom sitting in goldfish is primarily attributed to a high nitrate level although an inadequate diet is also a factor as well as possible ammonia/nitrite.

You did a good thing by trying to take the goldfish & koi into your care but I strongly advise you try to find them a suitable home. Do you have any pond stores in your area? Both of mine rehome unwanted koi & goldfish. Two of my lfs do this as well. You can also google local koi & goldfish clubs in your area for help as well as trying the classifieds/Craigslist.

Good question, some of the most unreliable test sources are strips- sometimes if the load is to high off spec it will register as nothing on the color strip...

jlk said:

I'm using Nutrafin test kit and I think it's what I'll end up doing

He seems to be really active for food and he seems that lots of air bubbles are coming out of his Gil's and mouth

Back
Top Bottom