Goldfish ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks so much! I will definitely keep y'all updated. How large of an upgrade are we talking here? Small bedroom...large swimming pool? LOL

Difficult to say for sure! Lets see how much he grows over the next few mths (2-3)...I would say probably 50gals but possibily more. He is an unusual fish!!!

Thanks, I'll keep y'all updated with his progress. One more question... I'm worried he's not getting enough to eat. None of my fish are at all aggressive during feeding time but he just doesn't seem to want to get in the middle of the feeding frenzy. He will actually pick more at the algae chips for my Pleco than he will with the food. Spot feeding doesn't seem to work cause he stays at the bottom of the tank and he is practically uncatchable. Any suggestions?

Get him some quality sinking goldfish pellets. I actually would try a tank divider/sheet of plastic for mealtimes & seperate him from the others so he can eat his own food at his own pace. He will probably pick up on this fairly quickly (eating on his own side of the tank in the same spot) & you will probably be able to feed him in his own corner (away from the others) during mealtime in the near future without a divider. Something to try anyway!! Also offer daily cooked veggies-goldies love them (and im sure everybody else will too). Some cooked broccoli florets are an easy one (cook til they sink) as well as cauliflower, deshelled peas, spinach, & zucchini. Remove after 24hrs & replace. Good luck!! :)

I never thought of the divider, I will have to get one and try that for sure. The only problem I've had with the sinking goldfish pellets is that my others try to eat them and wind up choking on them, plus it turns into another frenzy because they're fatties. What's a good brand to get for him? I'm sure the ones I have probably are not the best.

Hikari is my fav for goldies but its not carried in most lfs. I buy it off of amazon or ebay & it arrives in 2-3 days. Theres a slew of different varieties- just make sure you get a sinking pellet. The Lionhead mini sinking pellets are what i use most frequently (i dont have lionheads but all dif types are fairly similar in composition). Theres some ok brands in lfs too- just look for a sinking mini goldfish pellet.

They actually have Hikari at one of my LPS, so I'll pick some of that up while I'm helping with an adoption day tomorrow. I tried to spot feed him some frozen brine shrimp with a syringe earlier and it sort of worked. Maybe I can get him used to a syringe.

I've had people keep asking me how he swims, so I uploaded a video of him. It's kind of crappy quality, but you can see him "nubbing" around.

WOW!!! That is just incredible to watch!! I had to watch this a couple of times in amazement! Kudos to Nubby!!! :)

He really does do well :) Really his only problems are during feeding time but he's starting to realize that the plastic syringe means his food is coming to him. Otherwise he's following around the GBR, playing in the plants, and scouting for food. He kind of has this one corner that he's claimed as his safety zone, none of the other fish go in it and he's really turned it into his little area.

Back
Top Bottom