Goldfish ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bmtiz92

Aquarium Advice Activist
When I originally got my 36 gallon, I got feeder goldfish to cycle my tank since I didn't know any better. After I got on here and started doing some research, I realized I didn't need the goldfish and I shouldn't have gotten them. All but one were rehomed because this little guy has a defect. He has no tail at all, just a little nub (we call him nubby) and the original plan was to keep him until his tail grew back... Only it never did. My question is, is there a way to tell what kind of goldfish he is without having a tail to base it off of? I've had him for several months now and he's only slightly larger than my GBR, he swims fine, is very peaceful and does really well with my current stock. I know I'll have to rehome him, but I'm curious as to how soon that would have to be. It's hard enough placing a common goldfish, it's even harder placing one who's got a defect!

A pic will def help! Does he have any distinguishing characteristics (telescope eyes, coloring, body shape- round or streamlined)? Did you purchase him with the other commons?

Matt68005 said:
Whats wrong with goldfish to cycle a tank?

how people cycle their tanks is at their own descresion and choice. everyone has their own way of doing things. some people think its wrong to use them like they are disposable. some people think that doing fishless cycles are the humane thing to do.. its another one of those controversial topics in my opinion.

I was told through here it was bad? Someone said to rehome them immediately so that's what I did...They're all living in a large pond now.
Here is Nubby..

Attachments

• IMG_1832.jpg
    IMG_1832.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1842.jpg
    IMG_1842.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1839.jpg
    IMG_1839.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 101
Yes, he is a common as well. It just shows you how adaptable fish really are! He looks healthy & happy despite having no tail. He probably wont do very well in a pond setting though. Goldfish are very peaceful fish & I dont recommend keeping them with tropicals but you have a unique situation. If you can rehome him to someone with a big tank, great! But I suspect this may prove quite difficult. You probably should look into a bigger tank because Mr Nubby will outgrow this one in the near future. :)

Ok... Thank you! I may put some feelers out to the two lfs we have as they know what they're doing and might know of someone who has a big enough tank and wants him. Unfortunately I live in an apartment and a bigger tank isn't an option, but maybe if I start searching vigorously now I'll be able to find someone by the time he gets to where I feel he's cramped. He's not growing fast at all, I'm not stunting him already am I? Could it just be because he's a little different or because my water isn't exactly what he needs? I just didn't want him to be turtle food :/

How long have you had him, how big was he then, and how big is he now?

No turtle food!! He is a testament to survival! Has he grown at all since you have had him? I would stay on top of your water changes in the interim- more healthy water, the better! I dont believe your water is an issue in his case (as long as your levels are stable)- he is a unique fish & I suspect this may be a genetic defect that breeders normally would cull but he managed to evade this fate somehow. :)

Last edited:
I've had him since the first of October/late September. The tank was a birthday present on the 21st and it took me about a week to get everything put together.
He was probably about the of a quarter, and the only point of comparison in size right now is my GBR. I'll try to find a way to measure him in a minute. He definitely has grown since I got him, he's probably a little under double the size he was when I first got him 4 months ago.

My water params have been good as well, very stable and everyone has beautiful color and is active. I had a little bump around Christmas when I left the tank with a sitter, and she mucked up my tank so I had an ammonia spike, but it recovered quickly and has been great since. I do a small WC once a week, and a larger one once a month.

That IS incredible! I would do everything I could to keep him. But commons do need a large tank.

My water params have been good as well, very stable and everyone has beautiful color and is active. I had a little bump around Christmas when I left the tank with a sitter, and she mucked up my tank so I had an ammonia spike, but it recovered quickly and has been great since. I do a small WC once a week, and a larger one once a month.

With him in there, I would up your water changes a bit. Atleast 50% a week, twice a week would be even better. Im glad everybody is healthy & happy! I would have expected a bit more growth than what you have seen but I suspect he has some genetic issues so the norm probably doesnt apply to him as directly. Good luck!!!

Are there any signs I should watch out for? He follows my GBR around like a little puppy dog, he's never more than six inches away from her, it's almost like he thinks he's a GBR too. At what size should I be worried about him becoming stunted? I just measured him and he is 2 1/2 inches from nose to nub :) He's surprisingly hard to catch!!
I will definitely up my water changes. You don't think I've already stunted him, have I? I mean, he still looks so tiny in there.

Watch for signs of an unhappy fish- changes in color (fading), changes in behavior, changes in appetite (goldfish are piggies), & continue to monitor his growth on a monthly basis is about the best advice I can offer. I dont know what his normal growth rate is because he is not a typical common. You will be able to determine this by measuring him once a mth & comparing it to the previous mths. A typical common can grow up to an 1/2 inch+ a month in their first 2 years of life in ideal conditions. Def post some updates on this fish!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom