Goldfish in Tropical Community Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coalcut

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a 55 Gal corner tank with the following fish:

2 Orange pariot
2 Angel Fish
3 small clown loaches
1 Molly (the other one died some time ago)
1 large Placo
1 rainbow shark {i think}(its gray with red fins)
1 large gold fish (about 6 inch long)

I hear that gold fish should be in their own tank. I there any real danger leaving him/her in my tank. The above fish have been in the tank together for about 5 month without any issues.

Your thoughts,

Also I believe goldfish require a different diet,more vegetable matter than is normally provided by regular fish food.

Also I believe goldfish require a different diet,more vegetable matter than is normally provided by regular fish food.

Yep, that is correct. In addition I think they need to be fed more often too because they don't have a stomach.

They are not coldwater fish. They are what is called eurythermal, meaning they have a very wide tmeperature range, which definitely includes tropical tanks (and exceeds it actually). Not to mention that cool water tanks are usually kept only about 4-6 degrees cooler than tropical tanks.

Yes and no on the diet. Depending on exactly what is being fed they may or may not need something different than the tropical fish. I only feed and recommend New Life Spectrum for goldfish, tropical fish, and many other aquatic animals (like inverts, corals, and amphibians). Not to mention the fact that so many food companies use effectively the same ingredients and diet in all their foods, altering little more than the dyes.

The type of goldfish is important though. What type is it?

Fishguy2727 said:
They are not coldwater fish. They are what is called eurythermal, meaning they have a very wide tmeperature range, which definitely includes tropical tanks (and exceeds it actually). Not to mention that cool water tanks are usually kept only about 4-6 degrees cooler than tropical tanks.

Yes and no on the diet. Depending on exactly what is being fed they may or may not need something different than the tropical fish. I only feed and recommend New Life Spectrum for goldfish, tropical fish, and many other aquatic animals (like inverts, corals, and amphibians). Not to mention the fact that so many food companies use effectively the same ingredients and diet in all their foods, altering little more than the dyes.

The type of goldfish is important though. What type is it?

They aren't "cold water" fish, but I definitely wouldn't be keeping mine in the 80s for long term.

I've heard of people keeping them at around 80 degrees with no problems. My tank temp with my goldfish has been around 80 for years.

Id get rid of the pleco if its a common. Id be too paranoid about it deciding to suck the slime off your goldfish or angels or parrots

redsea said:
Oops sorry, I thought I read somewhere that they needed cooler temps..my bad.

That's what's generally said on the internet but they can tolerate a wide range like fishguy said. As far as keeping it at 80 all their life idk if it shortens lifespan or makes them more susceptible to disease or has any negative effects or not. But mine has been fine.

That's what's generally said on the internet but they can tolerate a wide range like fishguy said. As far as keeping it at 80 all their life idk if it shortens lifespan or makes them more susceptible to disease or has any negative effects or not. But mine has been fine.

oh ok, thanks for clearing that up. I learn smething new everyday!:)

tarpon said:

Yeah they can live in the 80 cuz I'm sure ponds heat that much during the summer. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, or if it has any negative effects on the fish. I just keep mine at room temp.

But to the op, a common or comet would be way to big for a 55 even alone.

Thanks for all the replies.
It's a common goldfish.
The tank temp is 76-78 degrees.

Also, Is there really an issue having my Pleco in the tank?

Raising the temp on most (if not all) fish 'shortens its lifespan' so to speak. More heat = higher metabolism, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Common goldfish get huge and your current tank stocking looks like it will have some issues in the future so I wouldn't add anything to it, save the common goldfish for a pond.

Common plecos get huge as well and need to be in a very large tank if you plan to keep it long term.

Raising the temp on most (if not all) fish 'shortens its lifespan' so to speak. More heat = higher metabolism, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Common goldfish get huge and your current tank stocking looks like it will have some issues in the future so I wouldn't add anything to it, save the common goldfish for a pond.

Common plecos get huge as well and need to be in a very large tank if you plan to keep it long term.

So do you recommend simply getting a larger tank or removing the goldfish & pleco from the current setup.

I actually have plans on moving up to a 120 or 180 gallon tank fairly soon (big jump from a 55gal huh).

I would remove them. Those particular fish really make stocking difficult because of their eventual size. Unless you really really love them and want to get a huge tank primarily for them, I'd rehome them while you can.

Get the 180 now and you will be fine. Plecos are a problem for fancy goldfish, the commons are fast enough to avoid them.

A fancy goldfish needs 20 gallons for the first fish. Common goldfish fish needs more like 30 gallons. With 2 parrots and 2 angels fish in a 55 gallon, there's not enough room for the goldfish. As said above, goldfish digestive systems are happier with 2 meals per day and goldfish sinking pellets. Goldfish eat any food that comes near them so I don't know how one would give the goldie his/her food and the tropicals their food. As above goldies can do a wide range of temperatures but extended periods of high temps lessens the amount of O2 for them. They are really happier in the high 60's to low 70's. Finally goldfish have higher filtration needs--more like 10 X gallons per hour so you probably would need more filteration.

Depending on what you feed they don't need different foods.

Oxygen shouldn't be an issue unless the surface is stagnant.

Back
Top Bottom