goldfish into my community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TommyP

Aquarium Advice Addict
hey all. i currently have two fan tailed goldfish in a fluval chi 5G tank no eater, the water is cold. they are doing great! for months! seems they have plenty of room but i know they need more. i currently have a 30G freshwater tank currently @ 78Degrees. after doing some reasearch it stated my fantailed goldies should be in 60-75Degree tanks and required abt 30G at least. Would i be able to acclimate them into this tank? in my 30 i currently have a bala shark, 2 red wag platys, a small glo fish, pineapple sword tail, 2 african frogs, and a gold gourami.

any help would be appreciated. just want to know if i can add the 2 goldfish in there for some space saving. I would do less water changes since i currently have 3 tanks going in my bedroom lol. Less filters/lights/etc.

Thanks again!

Hello!
Most pet experts will suggest not combining the two.
The increase in water temperature will cause them to grow more quickly, & they can get quite large depending on the size & population of your tank (according to my local pet store owner).
And if your semi-aggressive fish don't like it, worst case is they will eat the gold fish. If you're not willing to part with them, then don't combine them. If you don't care if they happen to be eaten, go for it.

I dont want them to be eaten! i went to a friends house yesterday and saw they had a heated tank( about 75 degrees) with 2 goldfish in there and they were huge! too big for the tank so thats one of the reasons why i thought i can put them in my 30G community since the temps were the same. my friend had the fish in the heated tank for a while and theyre doing great!

And also, 2 goldfish should be kept in a 30g minimum tank of their own.
Rule of thumb for goldfish is 20g for the first and 10g for each thereafter. Goldfish give off HUGE bio loads and need space as they can grow quite large also :-(

And also, you're going to have to re-home that bala shark as they can grow up to 14-16 inches.

I'm sorry if I'm being blunt.
People have/do mix community fish and goldfish. But it isn't the best/healthiest environment for them.

And also tropical fish are fin nippers, and they might nip at the FANTAIL goldfish. And since goldfish are slow swimmers they will most likely get infected and die.:(. So really I say no:nono:

thanks! its okay i know the bala shark is going to get big. i feel bad for it right now bc i had 2 african cichlids in there before i returned them and they beat him up pretty bad :( newbie mistake! he's been doing a little better since they have been gone and they were the big fin nippers out of all the fish i have.

ill keep them seperated for now until I can get a bigger tank for them. thanks for the quick feedback!

No worries.
With this iPhone app I can't re-read what you've written and reply lol so that's why it took me two times.

How big are your goldfish and your bala now?

my 1 fan tail goldfish is about 2.5-3 inches with the tail and the other is about an inch shorter. their bodies are almost the same size.

TommyP said:
hey all. i currently have two fan tailed goldfish in a fluval chi 5G tank no eater, the water is cold. they are doing great! for months! seems they have plenty of room but i know they need more. i currently have a 30G freshwater tank currently @ 78Degrees. after doing some reasearch it stated my fantailed goldies should be in 60-75Degree tanks and required abt 30G at least. Would i be able to acclimate them into this tank? in my 30 i currently have a bala shark, 2 red wag platys, a small glo fish, pineapple sword tail, 2 african frogs, and a gold gourami.

any help would be appreciated. just want to know if i can add the 2 goldfish in there for some space saving. I would do less water changes since i currently have 3 tanks going in my bedroom lol. Less filters/lights/etc.

Thanks again!

Okay when do you think you can get a new tank? Whats your water change schedule? Yes get a new tank ASAP. And obviously get rid of the Bala but you know of that.

TommyP said:
I change the water once a week. The tank is TBD right now, i have no room for it yet.

Boost up that water change schedule, defiantly that tank will need it. It needs that 3 times a week ideally. You ought to get a new tank ASAP. In a month would be okay. If you can't find the room then rehome them.

With two goldfish in a 5g, you really should change their water daily. I would not wait a month for a new tank either. Temporarily, you can put them in a 25/30g plastic storage bin with a filter & some aeration if you want to keep them. Any big chain store (walmart) has them for $5-10. This would work for awhile until you can figure out your tank situation.

Back
Top Bottom