goldfish + MTS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there any danger in having goldfish in a tank with MTS? I could see a goldfish sucking up an MTS and getting it caught in it's through, etc. Anyone know if this is a real issue or should I ignore that possibility? And while we're on that subject, is there any danger in having a sand bottom in a goldfish tank? Thanks!

Sand is OK as long as it is not sharp (like blasting sand) that can catch the fins.

I haven't head of problems with snails getting caught in the throats of Goldies. But there are reports of pebbles doing that, so I suppose that a snail just the right size might theoretically cause trouble. OTOH, a snail that is caught in the throat will die & the shell be crushed, so I think the risk is minimal. I have MTS & pond snails in my tank & I have had no problem .... but that of course isn't an absolute proof of anything.

I recently asked a similar question as I added some MTS to a goldfish tank. I got an answer something along the lines of if he can get it in his mouth, t can get through his digestive track. So there shouldn't be any worry about him hurting himself eating any MTS.

I'm hoping my goldfish has learned to NOT eat MTS. Within hours I saw the goldfish suck up one of these MTS. Apparently he didn't notice the juicy inside part and only noticed the hard shell and spit it back out. So I'm hoping he won't try that again. At least I have not seen him trying to eat any more large ones. As for small ones, well I have not had the MTS long enough to determine if the babies can survive. Apparently it's somewhat possible, because sifting my old sand after moving the goldfish from a 10 to a 20 gallon tank, I found at least three baby snails.

Back
Top Bottom