Goldfish or Clown fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nuclear Queen

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm posting this in both fresh and saltwater forums because I want opinions from each side.

After my beautiful fantail goldie was murdered by my filter, I firmly decided that my 5g was a single-betta-tank, and nothing else.
But I've always been in love with fancy goldfish and after having one, I can't imagine NOT having one and would love to set up my empty 10g for a goldie. (And everyone who says you can't have a goldfish in anything smaller than a 20g doesn't know how to take care of fish. My perimeters were PERFECT in that 5g.)
However, my marine science teacher breeds all variations of clowns and I've fallen head over heels for her lovelies. After seeing house a happy pair in a 2g, I figured I could do it in a 10g. The awesome thing about this is that my fish pair, LR, and filter material to help establish the tank would all come from the same place. The same very HEALTHY and TRUSTWORTHY place.

Here's the problem: I only have one extra tank, and no room for another (as if my parents would let me get another, anyway). So now I'm completely torn in half; do I create a homey but lovely goldfish tank, or a unique and breathtaking nano reef with false perculas? There would be no established anemones is a tank that small, but I would have a fanworm and pompom crab, among other inverts.

Which do you suggest and why?

Well no goldfish buddy. I have been keeping aquariums for many many moons and I promise you virtually anyone on this website will say goldfish should not be kept in that small of a tank, no matter your parameters. Go with the salt

Regardless of the quality of your water, fancy goldfish grow to 8" or so. How can an 8" fish swim in a 5g tank?

Clowns need a 30g tank for a pair and goldfish need a tan double that size. Maybe you should just get a few guppies and call it a day. Marine fishkeeping is played with a different set of rules than freshwater is. Id wait until you gather a little more experience

Im a Saltwater guy and a pair of clowns in a 2g is a HORRIBLE thing. Nothing less than 10 and even then only one. Definitely go salt though. If u like bright colors Saltwater is right up your alley!

Regardless of the quality of your water, fancy goldfish grow to 8" or so. How can an 8" fish swim in a 5g tank?
To answer your question they can't. And even of you doubled the size of a 5g that'd still be inhumanly small.

The problem with goldfish in smaller tanks is not just the parameters of the water. Anyone can keep the water clean enough if they put the work in to do it.

The problem is the size and growth rate of the fish. Even fancies grow too large for that size tank much too quickly. If you don't allow them the space they need, you can literally stunt them for life, which is not very kind.

I think you are the type of person who wants their pet to the best quality of life you can give them, aren't you ? And you can't do that for a goldie in a ten G tank for very long.

I'd get the clown fish and have fun with something new, if the tank is large enough for them. I don't do salt, so I'm not the one to advise on what you could keep.

But I'd skip the goldies until you're in a position to have a tank large enough for them. I think ponds are best but if you have space for a very large tank, you can have a few fancy goldies in it if that's what you still want.

I do understand how charming they can be. I had a Black Moor as one of my first fishes. He would eat from my hand. He also mercilessly harassed my baby turtles when I put them in for awhile to eat the snails in his tank. He wasn't at risk, they couldn't swim well enough to be any danger to him.

But he outgrew his tank in less than a year and I was fortunate that friends of my family had a very large pond that was open year round. He grew to be very large in there, and had plenty of pals, so I think he had a pretty nice life. I lost track of the family eventually but he was 18 years old last time I saw him, and simply enormous.

I agree that a pair of clowns need much larger than a 2 gallon that's just cruel. I'd say 20 for a pair. Also, salt water is a different world than fresh IMO. I started with a 10 gallon reef with 2 clowns, they outgrew it and are much better in the 20 gallon they are now in. Idk if I'd trust someone who puts a pair of clownfish in a 2 gallon tank.

I'd agree. Get the salt water one.

The problem with goldfish in smaller tanks is not just the parameters of the water. Anyone can keep the water clean enough if they put the work in to do it.

The problem is the size and growth rate of the fish. Even fancies grow too large for that size tank much too quickly. If you don't allow them the space they need, you can literally stunt them for life, which is not very kind. I think you are the type of person who wants their pet to the best quality of life you can give them, aren't you ? And you can't do that for a goldie in a ten G tank for very long.

I'd get the clown fish and have fun with something new, until you're in a position to have a tank large enough for more fancy goldies if you wish. I think ponds are best for them but if you have space for a very large tank, you can have a few fancy goldies if that's what you still want.

I do understand how charming they can be. I had a Black Moor as one of my first fishes. He would eat from my hand. He also harrassed my baby turtles when I put them in to eat the snails in his tank.

But he outgrew his tank in less than a year and I was fortunate that friends of my family had a very large pond that was open year round. He grew to be very large in there, and had plenty of pals. I think he had a very nice life. I lost track of the family eventually but he was 18 years old last time I saw him, and simply enormous.

I would never squish a big goldie in a tiny tank. Mine was about the size of a quarter in her 5g, which is why I got her. She was SO teeny and cute and definitely had enough swimming room. Unfortunately I wouldn't just be able to transfer her to my community tank when she got bigger because..... well she's a goldfish. They aren't exactly the most nimble things on the planet. I'd be able to upgrade to a bigger tank in 5-8 months, since I'll have the room, if the goldie had gotten too big. But.... maybe I should just wait until then?
I think I'm worried about screwing up a nano reef. Goldfish, big or small, are definitely easy. But a dead nano tank is at least $500 down the drain. And you are most definitely right, goldfish are charmers. Clowns are attractive, but goldies are interactive!
Honestly I'm still torn. My previous goldie grew extremely slowly, maybe a few millimeters in the months I had her, and I'd upgrade to a 30-40g when she got big enough. Even add some friends, if she'd like them. If the only problem is size, then that can be remedied as she grows.

If your prior Goldie only grew a millimeters a month, she was very stunted. A juvenile fancy should be growing 1/2inch+ a month. Water parameters area play a part here but they do not take into account hormones.

Sorry!! My phone sent this before i finished typing!! My suggestion is to wait until you can house whatever fish you decide on appropriately. If your prior fancy only grew a millimeter a month, she was very stunted. They should be growing 1/2+in a month. Water quality plays a part but hormones are huge factor as well. One of my
big adults is a tight fit in a 55g and they spend most of the year in a pond.

I'm posting this in both fresh and saltwater forums because I want opinions from each side.

After my beautiful fantail goldie was murdered by my filter, I firmly decided that my 5g was a single-betta-tank, and nothing else.
But I've always been in love with fancy goldfish and after having one, I can't imagine NOT having one and would love to set up my empty 10g for a goldie. (And everyone who says you can't have a goldfish in anything smaller than a 20g doesn't know how to take care of fish. My perimeters were PERFECT in that 5g.)
However, my marine science teacher breeds all variations of clowns and I've fallen head over heels for her lovelies. After seeing house a happy pair in a 2g, I figured I could do it in a 10g. The awesome thing about this is that my fish pair, LR, and filter material to help establish the tank would all come from the same place. The same very HEALTHY and TRUSTWORTHY place.

Here's the problem: I only have one extra tank, and no room for another (as if my parents would let me get another, anyway). So now I'm completely torn in half; do I create a homey but lovely goldfish tank, or a unique and breathtaking nano reef with false perculas? There would be no established anemones is a tank that small, but I would have a fanworm and pompom crab, among other inverts.

Have you even done your research on SW fish keeping? Your gonna need to take a long thought before you commit yourself to SW. Be prepared to spend multiple 100$s even on a small 10-20g tank. Also during wc it isnt just plop some tap water in there and some conditioner, you have to get pure RODI water and if you have chloramines than a chloramine unit aswell. Anenomes are a pain in the butt as they can move around the tank, sting other corals, fish and invertabrates, and nuke your tank... Do your research.

Please don't post a question in 2 places. Since this is the fw section, please just discuss fw options. It is confusing for people to see the same post in 2 places, so please just stick with the fw part of this question for this topic here. Thanks.
Goldies will grow faster in larger spaces where their growth is not being thwarted. Most of a goldie's growth is actually done fairly early in it's life, and that is why there is an issue with people who keep fish in small tanks and don't upgrade until the fish looks like it needs an upgrade. Yes, it will be fine for a bit if you keep the params nice, but since you can upgrade in the future anyways, I suggest just waiting on a fancy goldie. I agree that they can be quite cute, and have fun personalities. That is why I would just wait until you have space for one.
If you are willing to look at some other fish, there are some wonderful options for a 10g tank. A couple options are the dwarf puffer, freshwater bumblebee goby, pygmy sunfish, scarlet badis, shell dwelling cichlids (multis), and there are actually a bunch of species of betta besides the betta splendens you always see in stores. There are also dozens of nano schooling fish that are very fun like ember tetras and chili rasboras.
I am just saying, don't get too bogged down on trying to make a certain fish fit into a small tank when there are tons of amazing options for small tanks that can live and thrive their whole lives in a 10g.

Also what your teacher is doing is wrong. They simply do not know what they are doing. No one in the right mind would put to clowns in a 2g! I would not go with any advice they give you about setting up your first SW. Not that they are bad at science, they just need a bigger tank!

Have you even done your research on SW fish keeping? Your gonna need to take a long thought before you commit yourself to SW. Be prepared to spend multiple 100$s even on a small 10-20g tank. Also during wc it isnt just plop some tap water in there and some conditioner, you have to get pure RODI water and if you have chloramines than a chloramine unit aswell. Anenomes are a pain in the butt as they can move around the tank, sting other corals, fish and invertabrates, and nuke your tank... Do your research.

I don't know what about this made you think I'm an idiot, but I have done my research. Years of it. So thanks.

I don't know what about this made you think I'm an idiot, but I have done my research. Years of it. So thanks.

I don't think they Meant to imply that. I'm just going to say that years of experience might of told you that goldfish nor clownfish are suited to a ten gallon :)

For your first SW i would start with just a pair of clowns in a 20g and then work your way up to corals like mushrooms, zoas, easy stuff.

Back
Top Bottom