Goldfish Tank Size Requirements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GoldfishNewbie said:
i'll look into a 125 gallon :D I won't be able to get it anytime soon though, but they're only 2 inches right now so will they be ok for a while?

For about 5 years or so. IMHO, your 55 will be fine for their life span. Even if you go to 30g for the 1st + 10g for the second, you still have room.

Pardon the OT, BUT.... The debate that's ensued here is beyond logic/reason and has become IMHO a moral issue and is, (again) IMHO a contradiction to aquaria or any pet keeping in general. (Steps off soapbox ...) :D.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

Are we talking about fancy/round-bodied or pond/long-bodied?

For fancies I would say minimum 75 gallon tank since they liketo school. That allows for a school of six going by the 20+10 guide.

For long bodieds I would say 125 minimum for a school of six because they are more active.

Keep in mind water quality is vital in this equation. You must be able to keep the nitrate concentraiton below 20ppm before a water change or you are overstocked.

Also keep in mind that pond goldfish don't really get bigger, it is just that fancies are smashed together and round instead of long, the mass is usually about the same.

Any pics of 24" goldfish?

goldfish1.jpg

What size is that?

Now, no one should plan on 14" fancies .... the average is more like 6-8" full grown.

Single tailed fish ideally should be in ponds or big tanks. It is fairly common to see 12-14" comets around here. At the OP's location, she would need a 8' deep pond to overwinter the commons .... not too practical. However, an indoor pond is an option. <More fun anyways .. an outdoor pond is only ice free (& warm enough for active fish keeping) for what 3 - 4 months a year?

IMO, a 55 is good till the fish are 6-8". Just keep monitoring the nitrates, if you can keep that below 20, you should still be fine.

jsoong said:
That is a koi (notice the barbels at the mouth) living in a lake ....

Now this is Bruce, at 14" certified by Guinness as the largest fancy:

YouTube - World's BIGGEST Goldfish?

Not only is it not a goldfish, apparently he has a habit of catching whoopers and releasing them. Here's another "monster" he got a pic with and released.

http://americanmonsters.com/site/2010/09/has-frances-legendary-giant-goldfish-finally-been-caught/

Any fisherman (person) will tell you if they caught a monster like that, the last place it would end up, is back in the water. He or a friend has exceptional PS skills is all.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

Cool... Actually I plan on saving until I can afford a bigger tank :p I don't plan on waiting until they're bigger before I start thinking of buying it, I want to be able to have it ready before them, unfortunately its so expensive where I live, my 50 gal was used and $250 for the tank alone. I've never seen a 125 gal here, 90 is the biggest, I think I might have to travel to a big city (between 4-15 hours) if I want to get a cheaper one... but then it might not be any cheaper with the price of gas. anyways I'll keep looking and stuff, but ordering one online would be completely ridiculous right? the shipping would be insane I would think...

Don't go by what pet shop employees tell you.

What is your nitrate concentration?

mine? well because I was stupid with my fish (had 4 in a 20 gallon) and then I learned, I bought the 50 gal and right away moved my two commons, so they're in it during the cycle. I also had test strips but learned they arent even accurate, and still i just ran out. but I ordered an API test masterkit a couple days ago so it should be coming within a week... (there arent any in my town :( ) but people on here told me to just do daily 50% water changes until I get my test kit, just to be safe... so I'm not sure of the conditions, but I still do the 50% daily water changes. I'll be so grateful when I get the kit, and when the cyclings over lol

at first it was advise now its personal experience 4 years now same fancys happy and one had cloudy in the first year other then that perfectly healthy too. IMO everyone will have their own based on experience and past advise given tho

Cool... Actually I plan on saving until I can afford a bigger tank :p I don't plan on waiting until they're bigger before I start thinking of buying it, I want to be able to have it ready before them, unfortunately its so expensive where I live, my 50 gal was used and $250 for the tank alone. I've never seen a 125 gal here, 90 is the biggest, I think I might have to travel to a big city (between 4-15 hours) if I want to get a cheaper one... but then it might not be any cheaper with the price of gas. anyways I'll keep looking and stuff, but ordering one online would be completely ridiculous right? the shipping would be insane I would think...

You need a freight co to ship a 125, it will be insanely expensive. If you have room, an indoor pond is actually a good option. You can build an Allen Block form in the basement, then use a flexible pond liner to make your pond. <It will be much cheaper to ship a flexible liner.> We have one like that in my kid's school, also a demo one at the local Rona.

$250 for a 50 gal used! That is really expensive. I bought my 80 new at PetSmart for $90 (Boxing week sale ... including canopy & light ....). I guess I should count myself lucky to live in a big city.

You need a freight co to ship a 125, it will be insanely expensive. If you have room, an indoor pond is actually a good option. You can build an Allen Block form in the basement, then use a flexible pond liner to make your pond. <It will be much cheaper to ship a flexible liner.> We have one like that in my kid's school, also a demo one at the local Rona.

$250 for a 50 gal used! That is really expensive. I bought my 80 new at PetSmart for $90 (Boxing week sale ... including canopy & light ....). I guess I should count myself lucky to live in a big city.
what!! thats an insanely good deal for an 80 gallon i paid more then that for my 30 gallon at walmart

and i helped my friend build his pond in his basement with allen blocks and a liner we built a 2 walls (cement board of course) into a corner behind it and stacked flat rocks for a waterfall took most of the weekend but it was kind of fun

as much as I'd love to, a pond just isnt an option for me right now :( I live at home with my parents for now and we live in a trailer... once you build a pond its not possible to really take down is it? or it would be more difficult anyways... tanks are pretty much my only choice til I find a place to live... and i'm too poor right now lol but even if I was able to get a pond, we have no room in our place... my room has my 3 tanks, and the rest of our trailer is squished enough :( again, once I move out into a place I plan on staying at for a long time, then I'll probably invest in a pond.
and ya, no pet shops like petsmart or anything unless I want to drive 2 hours, and it still isn't a good one lol

It depends on your glass shop as to if they can do it. <I have re-built a tank myself before, so it is not that difficult ... but you want someone with a clue as to what to do .... might be difficult to find that in a small town.>

You need to have thick glass for a 125 (3/8 -1/2" or so depending on depth). It is not going to be that cheap. <I priced out glass in Edmonton and it actually costs more than buying a pre-made tank ... Of course, I always wait for Big Al's $1/gal sale each year ....> But if you can get a local glass shop to piggyback a glass order from China, you might save a lot. <There are a few here who have built their own tank, and the cheapest way to get tempered glass is to send an order to a factory in China.>

If you are interested in DIY tank, or even get more info on what a custom made tank should be like (so you don't get a sub-standard job), read up on it lots before proceeding. This is a good start:
Federation of New Zealand Aquatic Societies

If you know someone who is really handy, you can DIY a plywood/glass combo tank. That would be the cheapest way to get a large aquarium. There are multiple plans on the net.

thanks! I think no matter which way I go with getting a new tank (diy, a glass store, or buying used) it's going to cost a lot... but I'll start saving :D

i think a small town glass shop is more likely to do it mine here is three brooks glass shop and he would built me an 80 gallon acrylic for 180 plus 100 for supplies or he would cut the pieces for me and let me assemble for 100 the smaller the town the more likely he will have time to do it and yes it will be strong enough with acrylic you can get up to 1/2" plenty strong

Back
Top Bottom