Goldfish, too strong current?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

linsbins7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a goldfish in a 10 gallon aquarium, and he's been doing fine for the last six+ months. Several times in the past couple of weeks, however, I've found him sitting on the gravel. I do a weekly water change of about 30% and am buying a water test kit today so I know what the water parameters are. I know the ph is in the 7.0-7.2 range though. I read online that sometimes filters can be too strong for the fish, causing them to sit on the gravel—little Winston definitely struggles when he gets near the filter. I can see him pushing to try and swim past it, it's actually quite pitiful. Does anybody have any suggestions?
I have the Top Fin 10 gallon aquarium with the filter that came with it (the Whisper 10i).

Little Winston will eventually need a bigger tank and filtration. What kind of goldfish is he? Concerning the current, with a whisper 10internal you could try putting the filter the whole way to the right or left, maybe a sponge over the intake or something to block the flow out the top a bit?
Either way the filtration should be upgraded. Any breed of goldfish has a huge bioload and require at least double the recommended filtration for any tank size.

Your filter is definitely not too strong. This filter is only rated up to 90gph and I have to even question this rating. Did you cycle this tank with him in it? What type of goldfish is he? Until you get a decent test kit, atleast have your water tested at lfs and write down the exact numbers in ppm and what they use to test (liquid or strips). Let us know what they read!

Bottom sitting and difficulties swimming point to water quality issues though diet is likely a factor as well. He really should be in atleast a 20g tank. What is his normal diet? Has he grown at all in the past 6mths? Start by increasing your water changes to atleast 50% every other day until we have some idea of what your water parameters are. If you notice him being more active after a water change, increase them to daily. We can offer more suggestions once we have some more information!

Back
Top Bottom