goldfish with plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daveho

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey there guys my wife and i have come to posses another tank :):):) however she has already decided that it will be a fancy goldfish tank.
my question is i know most plecos such as commons royals pitbulls etc are true tropical but i have heard of people keeping bristlenose and/or rubber lip plecos with gold fish at a temp in the low 70ish range.
any goldfish experts out there, i have never kept goldfish so im not to sure.

Okay. I have a few questions for you first:

1. How large is the new tank? Even fancy goldfish get large, like 6" large. They also produce a ton of waste. You will need a big tank.

2. What kind of "fancy" are you looking at. Again certain species are more suited to tank life than others. Same with plecos. That said, common plecos, hifins and royals all get exceedingly large for the home aquarium, attaining 12"+ rather quickly.

That aside, smaller plecos like pitbulls, rubberlips and bushynoses will coexist happily with goldfish in a larger tank.

And also. Goldfish being coldwater fish is a MYTH. They are coldwater tolerant and are just at home in cool water as they are in tropical mid to high 70s. Plecos will do fine in lower 70s water as well. They are incredibly resilient. But remember don't buy oversized fish.

Um you know I think most if not all plecos need 78 to 83 but I have seen common plecos with gold fish but the problem is you need over 100 gallons and lots and lots of filtration because both species are EXTREME WASTE MAKERS a little info on gold fish you may not no gold fish have no stomachs which means they are constantly eating and grazing in return CONSTANTLY POOPING sorry lol and a common pleco is just a waste machine so..... I would say no sorry:(

Plecos are very fine in cooler water. They overwinter in texas with ease where the water drops below 50F.

I honestly would skip the plecos altogether. They are reknowned for snacking on slow fancies in the dark of night. Fancies need big tanks & heavy filtration though a heater isnt necessary. Minimum 20g for the first, 10-20g for each additional. Depending on the breed & genetics, they have the potential to max out at large grapefruit size & up to 12inches.

Back
Top Bottom