Golf balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering if I got add a golf ball or 2 into my tank as decorations? If they are safe to put in there? Just regular golf balls????

Sorry suppose to say "was wondering if I could add" not "could got add". My bad.

What size is the tank? You might be able to fit some golf clubs as well. :)

Sorry, Velks, I just had to...

A golf ball's core is rubber and the shell is plastic; no problem there. However, the ball is painted and then clear coated (I have one on my desk as I type). That is where you might run into a problem in the long run, not sure though.

David

My tank is 36 bow front. All though getting a club in there would be sweet I think i will stick with just the golf balls. I was thinking just 1 or 2 balls, either Nike or Titleist (not that the brand should matter), but want to find out for sure rather or not it would be harmful ????

Maybe see what the coating is made of and ask on here just to be positive. Maybe there's a way to seal them so even if there's some contaminate used in the coating, you can prevent it with sealant. I'd say with the right research and tools, it would work. As for the research and tools, others are much stronger. I am the ancient rotten handled screwdriver and you should try a cordless drill. Lol. Throwing my two cents in.

There is a marine epoxy you can use to make them safe!

A golfball thats displayed on a desk may have some kind of clearcoat on it but the ones used out on the course do not. Think about it. Those balls are made to be hit hundreds of yards. I play golf and have never had a problem with layers of anything coming off of them.

I love to dive for golf balls in the ocean off of golf courses and its interesting to see how they decay in salt water. Im sure this decay happens after many years and your aquarium wont have the same type of flow that the ocean does. Im sure the golf balls will be fine

I would use new ones not ones which have been on a course, unless you clean them because of the chems used to keep greens and fairways green and weed free, also another reason not to put the tee in your mouth ;-)

Back
Top Bottom